Part 6

"A mystery, huh?"
An amused smile came onto his lips. He surely liked that title the Meitantei gave him. Said person only scoffed at the smug thief.
"Don't flatter yourself."
"Yea yea."
Shinichi actually showed a small smile, it almost looked like he had no other choice but to do so. Kaito sure was ridiculous sometimes. A moment of silence came over these two until Shinichi finally spoke up again.
"Why did you disappear all of a sudden? That's unlike you."
Kaito closed his eyes and seemed to think for a moment, but then decided to answer this.
"I knew there was a sniper this time at the heist. I noticed him when I entered the roof."
"What brings me to my next question. Who shot at you?"

Kaito froze a second and sighed.
"Meitantei, you are sticking your nose into business which isn't yours."
Shinichi merely rolled his eyes. This horrible thief could be so stubborn if he wanted to. He knew, if Kaito once made a decision he wasn't going to change it so easily. However... If Kaito knew there was a sniper why didn't he disappear once he reached the roof? No, instead he simply sat down and waited for Shinichi to show up. Did he even wait? He was oddly relaxed for having a gun against his head. Maybe because he already gave up beforehand throught the sniper?
"Hey. Meitantei."
That ripped Shinichi out of his deductions again. Kaito stared with a rather impatient expression at him.
"I don't want to be impolite, but I've got places to be."
His work place for example, he already was an hour too late. Kaito worked in a small cafe, as a waiter and to that entertained the audience with small magic tricks. He was known there as a quite tricky person who always managed to fool the audience.

"That's not my problem."
Yes, that was typical for Shinichi. Not caring at all about such things, as long as there was something for him to solve he wouldn't let it go until he found out. Once more setting up his usual pokerface, Kaito laid back again properly and awaited Shinichis next question.
"Who is after you in general?"
"Still none of your business."
Shinichi scoffed in displeasure and crossed his arms with a slight arrogant expression.
"You do know I won't let you go until I found out about your secrets?"
"Now it's my turn to say that's not my problem. Your time is over, dear Meitantei."
Suddenly a bright flash blinded Shinichis eyes and the man backed with a slightly surprised squeak away out of his chair. Once he reopened his eyes, he saw Kaitou KID dressed in full manner at the windowsill of his room.
"Farewell Meitantei. There is just one question I have left for you... Why did you keep my identity covered?"
Shinichi frowned, then a dark grin covered his lips.
"I want to catch you on my own, Kid. Not because someone shot you down."
He flashed a glance to the opened handcuffs.
"I should have expected this."
"You really should have."

But this time, Shinichi was the one to laugh. With a victorious expression he approached KID, who still had a little trouble keeping himself on his feet.
"But you won't escape me so fast, KID."
"W-why do you think so~?"
Kaito was a bit out of breath, standing alone hurted a lot.
"Because wounded like this, I am faster than you, stronger and to that know this house like my own pocket."
"But are you just as mysterious~?"
Like Shinichi awaited it, Kaitou KID used another small smoke bomb from his belt. Much to KID's despair Shinichi had snatched forward and caught the phantom thief directly at his arm.
"Not so fast~"
"Shit...! Or... not~?"
Once the smoke cleared Shinichi realized he had gripped nothing else than the arm of a dummy, dressed like Kaitou KID. The real man was gone, as much as Shinichi searched through his house and the garden. KID was nowhere in sight.
"At least I got to ask him some questions..."
Sighing softly to himself Shinichi went back into his house.

Kaito on the other hand first of all called Jii who seemed at the verge of crying.
"BOTCCHAMA!! I-I thought they would have killed you...! When I arrived you where nowhere in sight!"
"Don't worry, I'm... I'm fine. Kudo Shinichi found me short before I passed out. I woke up in his room."
"Did he reveal your identity?!"
"No, surprisingly not. He left my hat and monocle at their place."
A deep sigh of relief was audible at the other end of the phone.
"I will pick you up... And then I recommend you to rest."
Kaito nodded, sighing in defeat. This wound sure meant a backfall in his hunt for Pandora. But as soon as he was back in his hideout again thanks to Jii, he dragged himself to bed and soon fell asleep.
"I really gotta recover soon..."