Part 7

As awaited, Kaito needed fairly long to recover. His wounds healed fastly, but he still needed more time to recover than he wished for. Once his wounds healed, Kaito had to train again. His speed, his magic tricks... Everything.
Summarized, not only Kaitou KID but also Kuroba Kaito dissapeared for a long time.

And Kudo Shinichi was the first person to notice that KID was gone. He knew Kaito got shot, after all he was the one saving his life with taking care or him. But now a month had passed and there still were no news of his rival. The weirdest thing, Shinichi couldn't help than to worry for his best opponent. Who knew if he still was alive? Maybe he already died and nobody had a clue about that.
Shinichi often visited the museum where he was short before catching KID. The blood already got washed away by rain and there weren't any other clues. But this wasn't even the reason why Shinichi visited the rooftop. For some reason... he felt close to KID on this roof.

Kudo's friends in highschool couldn't help to notice how much Shinichi became quiet and how often he was so deep in thought nothing could make him snap out of it. Finally, Ran took the initiative and Kudo out into a magic bar. Between these two wasn't anything anymore. Shinichi didn't love her the way he used to and Ran moved on about him since long too. By now, they just were nothing else than very close friends. Once they entered the magic bar, Shinichi as usual was the one to analyze everything with a simple glance around.

Today was Kaitos first workday after his injuries. And like that he of course noticed Shinichi entering the bar. Kaito couldn't help than to grin to himself. It was almost priceless that these two bumped into each other.
He snapped out of his thoughts and went to greet his new guests with a polite bow.
"I wish a good day~ I will be providing todays entertainment."
Shinichi simply smiled at him and nodded while Ran seemed exited to see a magician. After Kaito brought their orders he began first with simple card tricks and worked himself up to real illusions. Ran seemed astonished and squealed whenever he managed to trick her without her seeing through it.
"I watched you the whole time! How did you do that?!"
"Haha, a magician never reveals his tricks. Do you know how to see through tricks, Kudo-kun?"
Shinichi flinched and turned his gaze to him, smiling a little perplexed.
"A-ah, yes, maybe a bit. I watched KID perform up close, I guess I learned a bit how to look through a few tricks..."
Ran nodded with a serious expression.
"KID is a master, nothing and nobody can compare to him. S-sorry, didn't mean to be offensive."
Kaito grinned in a satisfied manner but as Ran said that he chuckled and shook his head.
"Nono, it's fine. KID is my idol, he is a legend."
"He sure is..."

Shinichi frowned a little at his own words and sighed. Kaito noticed that and raised his eyebrows in a questioning manner.
"...is something wrong?"
"A-ah, nono."
Shinichi smiled softly at him, then focused his gaze back out of the window.
"I... I just have been thinking of KID a lot these days. I wonder where he is, what he does now..."
He shook his head slightly and Kaitos smile dropped a little at these words.
"Why? You should be glad he didn't do heists since long."
Shinichi nodded with a deep meaningful sigh.
"I know I should be. But... there is something only I know. KID got shot. I just want to know how he is... Would be a shame if a rival of mine died beyond my knowledge. Despite that, he still is a mystery I want to solve."

Ran looked at Shinichi with concern in her soothing eyes at this confession, finally getting to know what had been bothering him for the last weeks.
"Shinichi..."
The man looked up, a little surprised she spoke his name out with such a soft tone.
"I didn't know it would be bothering you this much."
"Of course not this much! I just am curious, I always am."
It wasn't too long that Shinichi wanted to leave again. Kaito sighed quietly, he had to let Shinichi know that he was fine again. Somehow. Maybe he could visit him as KID? But that would be risky. He could bump into him in the streets at night as Kid. That would be a better choice.
"Thanks for your visit. I hope you enjoyed your stay~"
This was all Kaito said before he bowed towards these two.

Once Shinichi finally was at home again he slumped down on the couch and sighed, staring at the ceiling. This small date with Ran cheered him a little up, but it still didn't clear the main question. Kaitou KID.
But he received a chance to get rid of his questions as he saw in the evening a white figure jumping from roof to roof.