Part 9

After a calm evening at Jii's bar, Kaito returned home lost in his thoughts. He wasn't sure how to escape both Shinichi and Hakuba at the same time, after all both were after him now. And other than Shinichi, Hakuba already found out about his identity.
With a deep sigh Kaito closed his room door behind him and slumped down on his bed after taking off his shoes and jacket. What an exhausting day... And tomorrow school started again. The boy yawned loudly and stretched himself a little, his gaze falling onto the poster of his father. A short smile flashed over his face and he closed his eyes, his head sinking into the pillow.
"I'm gonna find Pandora... I promise. No matter which detective tries to stop me, Kaitou KID will stay a mystery and a phantom under the moonlight..."

The next day, he was as usual absent with his mind in school. But his daydreaming didn't last as long as usual as he picked up bits and pieces from Hakubas' mumbling. Obviously, the detective was thinking out loud again.
"...ha... new challenge for KID... they never learn..."
Kaito froze this instant and a grin sprawled across his face. With a victorious expression he leaned back and for the first time this lesson focused onto the teacher. KID had just found his new target and that only thanks to Hakuba, he'd have to look the latest challenge note up later.

As Nakamori-keibu received another heist note, the police station was of course immediately alarmed. The keibu ran back and forth in his office like a tiger, trying to think of ways how to catch KID this time. Fortunately for him, soon the door opened and Hakuba strolled in with a mysterious smile on his thin lips.
"Wednesday, 15:23 noon, 12 seconds and 44 milliseconds... Good afternoon Nakamori-keibu."
Nakamori immediately furrowed his eyebrows and turned to face Hakuba, confusion written all over his face.
"Hakuba...? What do you want? Can't you see I'm busy? I'm trying to catch KID, that's nothing for such vegetables."
He made a small laugh at his own remark. Hakuba didn't even react to his teasing and simply crossed his arms.
"I ask for permission to design the traps for one room on my own. No interference of any police."
Nakamori Ginzo stared absolutely priceless at him, before he bursted into laughter and waved him off.
"If that's all you want, yeah why not. But leave me alone now, I've got important things to do."
Hakuba merely bowed and after a small 'thanks' disappeared out of the room. This time, Hakuba was completely sure he would get a hold of Kaito. He had discovered Kuroba's ichthyophobia and was going to use this against him at one of his heists. That alone would prove him it really was Kuroba, even if he already knew that.

At the day of the heist, Kaito of course prepared everything. Once the time was ready, he suddenly became visible how he flew over the crowd of fans and everyone broke into loud and massive cheering. Kaito chuckled to himself, enjoying the attention and camera lights on him. Oh, how much he loved the stage.
The white phantom stopped on top of a lantern, bowing to the cheering audience.
"Ladies and Gentlemen! I, Kaitou KID, will be stealing just as promised in my note the Dagger of Millenium!"
Nakamori-keibu growled and shouted into his earbud.
"Arrest him!! What are you waiting for?!"
Immediately, police forces were storming at KID from all directions. The thief merely pulled his top hat a little lower to cover his face from the view, before he disappeared in a cloud of smoke.

Kaito took fastly the steps upwards in the scyscraper. This time it seemed to be more easy than usual... How suspicious. The elevator was completely guarded and entering from a window or the roof wasn't possible, so he had no other choice tjan to take the stairs. He chose his way carefully to stay hidden from police, naively believing it was his own choice. In fact, Nakamori-keibu kept watching him over the security cams and placed his men to lead Kaito towards a certain room... The room Hakuba asked to prepare.
Finally arriving at the room, he rested his hand on the doorknob, but something felt off. Kaito began to realize, inside this room was a trap. And since the keibu had beem guarding him here a well planned one too. But there was no other choice... He needed to go through this room to reach the jewel.

But once he stepped into the room, the door behind him slammed shut and gloomy lights flashed on, illuminating the place in a creepy atmosphere. Only now, Kaito began to realize in what he actually stood there: fish.

Everywhere.

On the ground fish was carefully spread and from the ceiling hung a few well placed on hooks. Kaito froze in terrify until he let out a highpitched scream and stumbled into the next corner, staring like in shock at the fish. The worst thing, the gloomy light made their dull eyes glimm a little. Kaito couldn't think straight anymore, he lost his pokerface this time and desperately tried to regain it.
But this lasted until someone else in the room caught his attention. It was Hakuba.
"Friday 22:57 at night, 23 seconds and 9 milliseconds. The time of where I, Saguru Hakuba, caught the famous Kaitou KID. Isn't that right, Kuroba Kaito?"

Kaito swallowed. This time, he was in serious trouble.