hospital

After dropping your few possessions you owned in your room, you observed the place you would be staying for the rest of the year.

It was cheerful, you thought.

If not slightly outdated.

Faded yellow paint adorned all the wall, with a light pink windowsill indented into the wall opposite you and a small, steel framed bed in the right hand corner. Cute patterns of butterflies and birds were printed onto the sheets.

With nothing to do, you took up the offer the doctor had previously offered and hobbled out of your room to find the nearest functioning bath.

On your way, you observed everything going on around you.

In what seemed to be a common room, there were three girls and two boys watching tv, laughing and talking to each other.

In another bedroom lay a young man in at least his twenties, just staring at the ceiling; spaced out. You knew how that felt.

Finally making it to a bathroom, you wrapped your knuckles on the door before entering. Closing it, you didn't waste your time taking off your shirts and pants and discarding them on the floor. Then you turned around.

And were met with a huge mistake.

If the people working here knew anything of what the people living in this ward were going through, then they definitely would not have installed mirrors. This way, everyone could see their imperfections in clear daylight.

Just as you did.

You stared.

Bruises, still fresh, were plastered all over your body, as if a mocking reminder of what you had gone through. Greens, blues, purples and yellows were seen at every angle, sometimes interrupted with angry red gashes or ghastly scratches.

You were so busy looking at all your problems, that you didn't hear somewhere knock.

So when they entered, you were given a huge fright.

Because behind you, seen from the reflection in the mirror, entered a young man in a wheel chair.