xiv : Silence

If you haven't found out, this book is the second book of The Line series, a continuation to a book called Till the End of the Line. Check it out if you haven't 😉

.: BATTLEFIELD :.

It had been a year since you and Bucky started to date and things had been going pretty well. Just a bit of Bucky's PTSD nightmares here and there, but it had already been much better than before.

Else than that, turned out S.T.A.T.I.O.N. isn't much different compared to S.H.I.E.L.D., almost the same even.

You had been training and talking with the Avengers basically every day. You guys also carried missions together, tried finding the remaining HYDRA bases to take them down.

On 27th April 2015, Hill came to the Avengers with new information in her hand. She said she just heard about an active HYDRA research base in Sokovia and well ... that's why the Avengers Tower was rather quiet for the rest of that day.

You were left alone with Bucky and a few S.T.A.T.I.O.N agents in the tower on that same day. The Avengers were going to Sokovia to invade the HYDRA base Maria Hill reported on.

Since you were bored and had nothing to do in the tower, you decided why not take a walk outside while you could. Not a bad idea after that mission in Port Sudan two days before, the 25th April to be exact.

What mission, you ask? Just an attack on another HYDRA army except, it was a little harsher than you expected since they had laser cannons and armed with tanks and chitauri armors.

You wanted to join the Avengers on this mission, but they said that it'll be alright and you better take some rest. You refused at first, but then they told you to do some research on the files you had gotten your hands on from the latest mission. It's kind of hard when all Avengers members were against your decision, so what else could you do but obey.

"Bucky, I'm going outside. You're coming with me?" You asked Bucky who was told to look after you (it's not like you want to be looked after, but it's your own boyfriend anyway so why not?)

"Of course, doll. Where are we going?" Bucky closed the book he was reading.

You took a glance at the book he was holding, it was The Catcher in the Rye a coming-of-age novel by J. D. Salinger. You heard it was one of the best English-language novels. It was first published in 1951, not long after Bucky "died."

"What about lunch at Shawarma Palace?" You smiled at the thought of eating at the place Avengers went to after the Battle of New York.

"Shawarma? Why shawarma?" Bucky asked confusedly, still sitting on a sofa in the Avengers living room.

You shrugged your shoulders. "No special reason, just the first thing that came to mind." You looked at Bucky.

He took a small pause before answering you. "Alright, Shawarma Palace it is." Bucky stood up from the sofa and put his old-timey novel back to where it belonged.

The two of you grabbed your things and used the tower elevator to go down the floors. You both walked out of the big building with your left hand in his.

"So how is it with your dreams? Any nightmare last night?" You asked as you came closer than you already were and closed the small gap between you and him.

"It is much better already." Bucky wrapped his hand around your waist and kissed your forehead, showing his affection toward you. "I only get them at nights as I've told you. No more flashbacks when I close my eyes."