Chapter Three

I heard the shuffling of feet behind me. The man who spoke walked by me and stood in front of me, about a meter away. He had his hands in the pockets of his jeans and I could hear his heavy breathing. Sweat trickled down his neck, glistening in the light. Stuffy and suffocating, I felt as if I was strangled at the neck. There was barely any air circulation despite the occasional soft wind that made its way into the room. The smell of his sweat swept its way into my nostrils, as the breeze seemed to hum a soft lullaby. The tattered curtains swayed. The lights dimmed and brightened, and dimmed again. It was mere seconds; I didn’t even need to take a second look. My eyes were fixated on the man who spoke – the man who took me here, the man who knocked me out.

I could hardly breathe. It was just… Just too unbelievable. Am I dreaming? Is this real? Questions buzzed through my mind.

No… This can’t be. It can’t be true.

“How could it be you?” I wailed.

I looked up at him, awaiting an explanation.

He kept quiet.

“Why? Why? Why?”

I felt tears well up in my eyes. I demanded to know.

How could Benjamin ever do this to me? He kidnapped me. He was going to use me to get a ransom from my parents. I loved him. I really did.

He said he loved me. He said he’ll be by me forever. He said he’ll never hurt me.

“Benjamin, why? Please tell me. Please! I beg you!” I threw questions at him, with teardrops running down my cheek. It was like a stormy day, that stormy day.

Benjamin sighed as he leaned closer towards me. I could smell his perspiration even stronger now, and I watched one of it roll down the side of his face. I could hear his heart palpitating, and he seemed to be trying hard to hold in his deep and heavy breaths and all I could hear was soft breathing. He was so close; I could feel his every breath’s warmth tingle my ear lobe.

“Why? It’s very simple actually… Because your parents were right about me.”

That was all I needed to hear.

All Benjamin wanted was my money. That was his motive all along. My parents forbid our relationship. They wanted me to date a guy of the same status or higher. I went against them. I continued to love him like no one else. He was my first love. In fact, it was love at first sight. I still remember how I caught him gazing at me at Starbucks that Sunday afternoon when it was pouring outside. That innocent and charming face, my heart melted at the sight of it.

Why didn’t I listen to my parents? Why didn’t I listen? Now I’m in this mess… It’s my own entire fault and no one else.

What Benjamin wanted was just money. He targeted me, because my family was rich. I was just a tool to him all along. I was a tool, his tool in fact, to get money. I could feel my heart shatter inside. It seemed to have broken into a million pieces. It was more than heart-wrenching. It was as if someone had stabbed me in the chest repeatedly. I could barely hold in my tears. My nose had turned red and my eyes were puffy.

“Can I ask you something? Have you ever loved me?” I tried to get the words out in between my sobs.

I braced myself as I waited anxiously for an answer. In an attempt to stop myself from getting so nervous, I told myself to calm down, but what counteracted this was my heart pounding twice as fast, randomly skipping beats. I held my breath for the reply but what returned was just silence. Time passed; seconds and more seconds. I had no other way of holding it in anymore; I wanted to know, I had to know. Mustering up all that’s left of my already demolished heart, I bit my lower lip before I spoke again.

“No? Not even a minute? Not even…” I hesitated, “A second?”

Benjamin did not answer but he did lean in to plant a soft kiss on my cheek.

“The last one you’ll ever have, darling.”

My mind was in a whirl, a complete mess, as Benjamin reached his hand to my ear and gave it a yank.

____________________________________________________________________________

So how was this one? :D

It's on Short Story #771 now (As of 12 July) and I really hope it can go past my all-time best of #740 (Writing A Memory) :D

Please read my other stories, vote for this as much as you can, and comment so I know how my writing is! 

To Chingy, hearts.

To Nicky, if only, only if. LOL. :D

To everyone else who fanned, read, voted and commented (too lazy to check and list xD ), thanks a bunch^^

xoxoxo