Chapter 2

A/N: In this chapter, italics refer to the past (memories/events)
Tom's P.O.V
I shut the door and sighed, going to make my rounds around the base.
I was only here cause of what happened...
The TVs started flashing, telling viewers that they were advised to stay inside.
Edd, Matt, and I ran outside. We already knew where he'd strike first.
We ran the fastest we could, but it wasn't fast enough.
Edd and Matt got to cover, Well, if you consider behind debris "cover", but I wasn't quick enough.
I looked up, only to see planes carrying bombs over me. I looked back at Edd in horror.
The bombs came down and shook everything. I saw Matt and Edd get covered by fallen houses, then I got thrown, but blacked out.
Next thing I knew, I was in a hospital room with bandages covering my body.
Tord was in the corner of the room, his eyes fierce and he donned an evil grin.
I pretended to love him, so if he ever caught Matt or Edd, I could talk to him about leaving them alone.
Don't get me wrong, deep down somewhere, I had feelings for Tord, but it's hard to love someone when you are worried for your two friends, not to mention if one held your heart as well.
I walked around, watching the recruits train. I felt bad for them, they were treated poorly, and often underfed. Sometimes, if I saw one of them eating the very little rations they got, I'd give them some of my food I carried on me at all times.
Being second in command had the perks, especially if the leader is your boyfriend. I got the best treatment, and everyone respected me.
Most soldiers listened to me well, not just out of fear, but also admiration for my kindness.
I knew many despised Tord for his ruthlessness, but it wasn't the same for me.
Many enjoyed if I was in command of their rank. I helped treat the wounded and fought along side the soldiers, despite Tord's constant scolding to stay out of the front lines.
I was about to finish my first round when a soldier came up to me.
"Sir! A fight's broken out in the cafeteria!"
I gave a nod and headed off to see what the matter was.
Sure enough, there was a ring of boys surrounding the middle.
When they saw me enter, a path formed in between them, allowing easy access.
As I entered the ring, a fist landed square on my jaw.
Both men stopped in horror at realization of recent events.
"I-I'm sorry, S-Sir. It-it was an accident!"
A tall blond stood before me, his brown eyes glistening with fear. The other was a short brunet, with a fierce but anxious stance.
I straightened my back and put on my serious tone.
"What is the meaning of this fight?" I spoke, my voice sounding like steel.
They cowered under the unwavering stare the visor gave off.
"He took my food, Sir!" The short brunet spoke, keeping his head raised high.
I sighed and shook my head, causing them to flinch.
I reached into my pocket and pulled out two slices of cornbread, shoving one on each of their hands.
"I won't be so kind if this happens again, alright?"
They nodded gratefully and everyone sat back down.
As I left the room, I could hear murmurs of my kindness spreading through the room.
I checked my watch, and saw Tord's meeting was coming to an end.
I headed to our room, going to look in the bathroom mirror. I grumbled when I saw that where the soldier had hit me left a bruise.
I stiffened as I heard the door click shut and Tord call for me.
I headed out of the bathroom and sat down on our bed, where he soon sat as well.
As soon as he looked over, the smile he wore dropped. He grabbed my chin and turned my head so he could better inspect my bruise.
"Tom, how did this happen." He demanded, his voice cold.
"A fight broke out, and I got hit by accident. It's fine." I gently pushed his hand away.
"It's not "fine"! They will think it's okay to hit you. Who did it?" He growled, low and throaty.
Tord already knew of my kindness, and was never pleased with how I treated them.
I sat forward and kissed him. He stiffened, but melted into the kiss soon enough.
Sometimes, to get him to shut his damn mouth or calm down, that was all I had to do.
I pulled away, and wiped my mouth, breaking the saliva that connected our lips.
He sighed and laid back.
"I just don't want you to get hurt." His voice was soft and timid.
Sometimes, I wish it wasn't like this.
That he wasn't a leader over the entire world. That I wasn't constricted to being by his side 24/7.
That I never got separated from Edd and Matt.
That Tord never had that damn robot in the first place.
But wishing isn't going to change reality.