Chapter 3

Edd's P.O.V
I sat in our house, the only thing bombs didn't blow up, miraculously.
I was plotting points on a map where I knew soldiers would be stationed or walking.
Matt was out gathering supporters or rations.
I would head out soon, as well, to look for Tom. We lost him after that damned day. I still hate myself for not protecting him better.
I remember seeing the fear in his eyes, the way sweat dripped down his forehead as he knew what was coming.
Matt and I had gotten pinned by rubble, but as soon as we broke free, I set out searching for Tom.
We never found a body. We hope that he's alive. Wandering the streets or living in a good shelter.
But, there's also the possibility that he got blown up...
No. He's out there, I know it.
I growled in frustration. I folded the map up and checked on the few people we housed.
We kept a few people who supported the rebellion. They helped us out, and in return we gave them a roof to sleep over.
Two were sleeping and a couple of others were crafting weapons, sewing clothes, or fixing guns.
I walked out the door, flipping my jacket's collar up to hide my face but to also keep dust out of my mouth.
I walked around, searching for anyone wearing a blue hoodie, or anyone with spiked hair.
30 minutes go by, and as usual, no one turned up. I sighed and headed home, getting ready to get the small crowd assembled.
It was nearing dusk, the sun setting below the ground, filling the sky with dark purples and light oranges.
Sometimes, these were the only beautiful things I got to see. The only thing that couldn't change was the sky.
Somewhere, Tom sees the same sky. That thought fills me with determination. It reminds me that maybe were not that far apart.
I threw the door open, being met with Matt and the others.
Matt offered me a smile, trying to keep my spirits up. He knew how hard of a hit it could be when I couldn't find Tom.
"Alright, let's head out!" I yelled, getting everyone riled up.
Along the way, others joined our group. Our numbers slowly increased as we got closer to our destination.
Guns and weapons had been distributed among us.
We charged at the Army with a cry, screaming for lost loved ones and anger.
We took out a good chunk of them before they retaliated, dropping our men to the ground like dead flies.
I watched from the back with Matt. We had no weapons, opting to let others have them.
I watched one soldier in particular. He wasn't dressed like the others, instead he wore a royal blue dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows and a black vest over his chest, along with black jeans.
He took out men swiftly and graciously, unlike the others who killed the civilians with torturous deaths. I despised them for their cruelty.
A black visor covered his eyes, and instead a black screen showed. But, when he wasn't killing, neon green eyes appeared onto the screen, making up for what the visor covered.
My jaw dropped when he turned towards me, talking into a hand held radio.
It was Tom. He carried himself with a cold dignity, almost as if he had no choice but to have it.
His expression didn't falter as he glanced my way.
I started to back up, only to have a shadow tower over me.
I looked over, adrenaline surging through my veins. There stood Tord.
He wore a long, red coat despite the heat.
Before I had the chance to attack, he grabbed my arm and twisted it behind my back, disabling me.
I grunted as he chuckled bitterly, a sour smile on his face.
"Look who we have here! My good friend, Edd!"
Tord's smile widened as he contorted my arm, earning a howl of pain from me.
He called over two soldiers and told them to escort me to his prison cells.
I spat in his face as they dragged me along, letting my gaze drift back towards Tom.