Chapter 22: The Escape

Midna didn't even crouch while heading to her room, she entrusted Link and Zelda to follow and for there to be no guards. She had been watching their shifts for the entire time the two were locked up, and there was a small window of time that no one was on duty. This was that window of time, and she only had less than that to get them disguised. With the darkness of the Twilight Realm and the heavy black cloaks that everyone wore, she didn't think it'd be such a problem.

Just like Midna had expected, Link and Zelda followed very closely. Right when Midna had gone out the door of the prison, in which Link and Zelda's cell was the first closest to the door, the two released one another's hands and bolted after her.

She had a straight path to her room, and no guards were in the way. They made it there without a problem.

The door was black, as was most of everything in the Twiliight Realm, and when Link and Zelda entered, they were stunned to see the room. It was huge and tall, just like the rooms in Hyrule Castle, but the marble was replaced with black and dark yellow tiles. The walls were black and a bluish-gray with vibrant turquoise shapes, which resembled the skin of the Twili. The room itself was mostly bare except for a large bed, a vanity, a wardrobe, and another door, presumably a closet in addition to the wardrobe. There were no windows and a ghostly blue lamp is what lit the room, even if it was only somewhat. 

Midna rushed over to the wardrobe, opening it and revealing it was strictly dark cloaks. Link and Zelda weren't very suprised, judging by what most people wore here.

She threw a hair tie at Zelda abruptly, and Zelda barely caught it.

"Tie your hair so it won't hang past the cloak," Midna demanded. She did so without another word. Midna looked at Link's hair.

"Hey, I just got a haircut. I think I'll be fine." Link didn't want to have to tie his hair up. Midna nodded in agreeance. She pulled open a drawer from her vanity and grabbed a bottle of a grayish blue cream, the same as her skin tone. She motioned for Link to come closer. She blindly reached into the wardrobe and grabbed a cloak, handing it to Link as she prepped the bottle of makeup and rummaged around for a brush to apply with. He was not looking forward to his old best friend applying makeup on him, but if it was the only way, he would bear it.

Link wrapped the oversized cloak around him, not putting up the hood so Midna would be able to apply the makeup easier. He noticed she couldn't find a brush.

"Oh, whatever," she muttered, and opened the bottle. She let a bit pour out onto her fingers and put the bottle down. She rubbed it between her hands and roughly spread it on Link's cheeks. The sight of it amused Zelda.

Midna wasn't trying very hard, and the makeup was by no means even or presentable, but she wanted them to keep their heads down anyways. If anything would happen while they were making their way to the mirror, it would suffice.

She did the same to Zelda once she had fixed her hair, and handed her a cloak. 

"Let's go," Midna said, grabbing a cloak of her own. They were all surprised at how fast Midna had managed to prepare them.

"I don't think I took up a lot of time, so I think we'll be safe for long enough to get you there, but we still have to hurry." And with that, Midna was already out the door. Link and Zelda hurried to keep up once more.

They traveled through the area. It wasn't so much of a castle, or a temple or anything. It was a large building, but this realm was so different, Link and Zelda didn't have a reference level to anything.

Wherever they were, they made it out the front door without encountering a soul, and right in front of that door was the large marketplace the two had seen when they first came here. The Mirror of Twilight must be on the other end of the stretch.