| 2 |

Elena Rodrìguez and Lucy Carter sit next to Eloise at lunch. Both have stained school lunch trays in front of them with a greasy pizza on each.

"Hey," Eloise greets, popping a chip into her mouth. Her usual lunch consisted of a bag of chips and a soda, and today was no exception. She did, however, stop by a gas station on her way to school and bought a delicious Snickers bar that she has yet to devour.

Elena smiles back. "Hey."

Lucy groans and lies her head on the table dramatically. Eloise raises her brow at Elena.

She sighs. "We have an English test tomorrow."

"And I have no idea what it's even over," Lucy adds, sitting up suddenly. She blows a strand of her curly black hair out of her face. "But it's whatever, I guess. I mean, it's not like I'm going to go to college and become a really successful business woman. I'm just going to end up working at McDonald's for the rest of my life."

Elena shrugs. "That's not that bad, they pay some good money." She picks up her floppy pizza and bites into it.

Lucy glares at her pizza. "Ugh, I don't even want to eat right now, I'm so stressed." She pushes her tray to Elena. She picks it off of her tray and flops it onto her own.

Eloise sees the disgust on Elena's face as she chews the food. Her family is living under the poverty line and she has five other siblings, so lunch is the only meal she gets to eat since the school gives it out for free to students who can't afford it. Eloise offers her her Snickers bar. Lucy's face lights up.

"You don't want it?" She asks.

Eloise shrugs. "Not really. Go ahead."

She gladly takes the chocolate and unwraps it. Eloise turns to Lucy, who is still sulking.

"I can help you study, if you want," she suggests and then looks between the two of her friends. "Both of you. I took that class last year."

"Thanks, smarty pants," Lucy breathes, somewhat relieved. "I don't know how to study. I don't even know what to study."

Elena swallows a bite of her chocolate bar. "I have to go to work right after school."

"Same," Lucy says. "I don't get off until 8:30."

Eloise shuffles the bag of chips in her hand before going in for another one. "We can meet up at that library on 1st Avenue at 9 if that works." She licks the salt off of her fingers before wiping them off on a thin paper napkin. "I can sneak in some snacks and it'll be like a cute little study date."

Lucy beams. "Dude, you're literally the best."

🕸

Eloise checked the sign next to the bus stop bench to see when the next bus was scheduled to come around, but when she realized that it wouldn't be returning until another hour, she decided to just walk to the library.

It's dark, the only light coming from the street lights and the dull lights in a few windows.  Her backpack is slung over her shoulder and bouncing slightly as she walks. She pulls her jacket tighter to her body, thankful that the night didn't bring a freezing walk. The air is cool, but it feels nice as she continues on in her jeans and light jacket.

Suddenly there's a whoosh and a flash of red and blue in front of her eyes. She jumps back and falls on her butt with a squeak.