| 29 |

As soon as Steve and Bucky leave, Ned sits in the seat next to Eloise and Peter grabs his backpack, pulling out his suit.

"I don't think it's motion sickness," Peter supposes as he quickly strips down to his boxers. He stumbles slightly on his jeans, but tugs them off his feet and then slips on the red and blue attire.

"Are you sick or something?" Ned asks with his brow drawn.

Eloise licks her chapped lips. "No," she lets out. "I don't know. Probably." She turns her head and watches as Peter's suit clings to his body as he presses the emblem on his chest. "Don't worry about me, though, I just have, like, a stomach bug or something. If I start to feel better, I will help you guys out, but either way, we need to stay focused on the task at hand."

The boys nod.

"Getting to the wormhole," Peter says.

Ned adds, "And stopping Russo from going back in time."

A moment passes between them when they just look at each other. How did they end up here, anyways? Months ago, Peter was just her neighbor and Ned was a guy who came around to build a LEGO set. Now, the three of them are held together with a special bond that none of them can explain. None of their families know where they are, no one else knows about Spider-Man's identity, and they're all gathered across the country with Captain America to save the world. Eloise's entire life has changed within a few short months that feel like lifetimes. She may have only known Peter and Ned for those few months, but she is willing to die for them.

Something tells her that she's not the only one who's thinking that as she studies the two boys in front of her.

The plane lands with little bumps. Finally, the pain clutching to Eloise's body subsides and she feels her head clear and stomach settle. Her sides no longer feel cramped up and she lets out a small breath of relief.

"I think I'm good now," she tells the boys. Eloise turns her head and she looks at Ned. "I can help you now."

A nervous smile wavers on Ned's lips. "Good, because I didn't think I'd be able to do it alone."

The plane stops moving and Steve and Bucky make a reappearance, this time in their suits. Steve's is darker than Eloise remembers, the bold red now dull and less visible and the blue darkened to a navy color. Even the star on his chest isn't white anymore; it's dark gray. As tough and threatening Steve looks, Bucky still outweighs him on the threatening level. His chest is clad in a navy vest that covers one arm, leaving his metal limb on display. His emotionless stare has returned to his eyes, but it isn't as cold as before. It's just serious.

Peter shoots to a standing position. Steve goes over their plan one last time to him, and as he does, Bucky's gaze slips from Captain America to Eloise. She can't read his expression.

When Steve pats Peter on the back, Bucky returns his stare to the two superheroes in front of him.

"There's no going back," Steve says to Peter.

He nods. His face is set and his jaw is locked. He's ready. "I know."

A ghost of a smile crosses Steve's lips as he looks down at Peter. Maybe he sees himself in him—young, strong, and willing to do whatever it takes to keep everyone safe.