Tony Stark oneshot: I don't hate you

"Why are we still discussing around here? The mission is easy: Get in, retrieve the information, get out"
Jenna sighed at Tony Starks carefree sight of the situation and crossed her arms.
"It is still a Hydra base, Stark"
"An abandoned one"
Tony pointed at the satellite pictures thrown one the wall. They had been taken over the last few weeks and neither the normal Recordings, nor the thermal one showed any kind of life being there.
"As far as we know"
"There hadn't been any activities over the last two months"
The Shield agent slowly grew agitated with the billionaire's behaviour, a usual thing. There was just something about him, that she couldn't figure out, that caused her to become all ill-tempered around him.
But this was something different. Tony was talking about infiltrating a Hydra base, abandoned or not as if it was a walk in the park. And for what? Some data that might or might not be saved on the computers in there. And of course, that idiot was planning on going all by himself.
"Just because we have no recordings, doesn't mean there isn't anyone there"
Getting up, Jenna placed her hands on the conference table between her and the brown-haired man. He may tend to annoy her to no end, but that didn't mean that she was willing to simply let him leave for a insecure mission like this. They still were comrades.
"Theses aren't some idiots, Stark. They are trained soldiers and scientist. I'm sure they know of ways to either shield them from the thermal recordings or simply have other ways of getting in this base than just the front door. We still have to be careful"
Tony snorted and crossed his arms, smirking confidently at the female agent. He was wondering if she had noticed that she had said "we", instead of "you" "I'm fucking Ironman. I'm sure I can handle some wannabe world destroyer"
Jenna groaned as she plopped back down on her hair and exasperated combed hair fingers through her coloured pixie haircut. Tony had to hold back a small snicker, not having voiced this comment because he really was this overconfident, well maybe not completely, but because he simply loved to push Jenna's buttons.
The petite agent with the strong will had caught his eye from the first second he had seen her and not only because he liked her unique hairstyle, but because of her sass. A little on the short-tempered side, she always spoke her mind, especially when it had something to do with him. And she really looked sexy when being angry.
Right now her green eyes were sparkling with fury as she glared at him from in between her hands that still were grabbing her hair.
"Yes, Ironman. What if there are still agents and something might happen to your suit? Than you stand defenceless"
"Then come with me and protect me"
Jenna's arms dropped, and she looked at him in disbelieve. She was arguing that the mission was to dangerous, because of the unclear situation and he simply suggested to drag her with him.
"Great, now that this is settled"
The voice speaking this time, came from the backside of the room and as Jenna turned her head, she looked in the stern face of Fury. Over debating with Tony, she completely had forgotten that he was with them in the room and not only him. Clint and Natasha had watched the quarrel between Jenna and Tony and now both were carrying a knowing smirk on their faces.
Fury cleared his throat and crossed his arms behind his back.
"Agent Martins will accompany Stark. You will get there and check the surroundings. If you find any trace that there are still people, you will ask for support and wait until it has arrived. If not, move forwards and proceed with the mission"
He looked from Tony to Jenna "Understood?"
Crossing his arms again, Tony snorted and looked out of the window "Fine", but Jenna still wasn't very happy about the outcome of this meeting "Why do I have to go?"
"Because you our best stealth agent, because you are able to handle Stark"
"Hey!"
Fury ignored Tony's protest as he looked intently at Jenna "And because I fucking say so"

So, about an hour later, Jenna and Tony were sitting in the Quinjet and were on their way towards the Hydra base. A stern look was plastered on Jenna's face as she navigated towards their destination.
"Come on, Jenn. Don't look so sour"
Tony, who was sitting beside her tried to lighten the mood, but the woman just glanced once at him from the corner of her eyes.
"It will be fun"
"Fun?"
She nearly smashed the button of the auto pilot, then furiously turned towards the still smirking man.
"It is not my intentions of fun to go on a mission to infiltrate a Hydra base, that abandoned or not, probably still has some traps and surprises waiting for us"
Tony opened his mouth to say something, but she cut him off before even a single tone could leave his lungs "And this all with a man, who doesn't care at least a bit about all this. Yes, it could be fun, if I had comrades with me, I can be completely sure about that they are as careful as I am"
Fear was causing her to speak that harshly, but whenever Jenna was thinking about what could happened in that base, it was her that was getting hurt in her mind.
Tony was a little surprised by her outburst, not having thought that this whole situation was troubling her really that much. Though, she was protesting, he grabbed one of her hands and held it tight in his as he looked in her eyes.
"I know I might sound a little too relaxed about this all, but Jenna believe me that I would do nothing that puts us in danger. I might be an idiot sometimes, but I would never want to see you hurt just because of some data"
The smallest blush started to form on Jenna's face at his words and she quickly pulled her hand back and turned towards the front again, clearing her throat. "Good, now that we have that settled, let's get this over with"
Tony chuckled a little at her reaction but let it go, then leaned back in his own seat to wait for their arrival.

The base was well hidden in between some mountains, the architecture of the building fitting perfectly in the rocky structure of the rock. Jenna landed the jet a little away on a grassy patch and grabbed her weapons, two guns and an army knife, together with some spare bullets. As they left the jet, Tony was putting on his suit and scanned the area with his sensors, while she simply used her eyes and experience.
Also close it looked like now one had been here for quite some time. Footprints and the imprints of tires were partly washed away by rain and wind and everything was covered in dirt and dust.
Transporter and trucks were standing around in no order like they had been left in a haste.
"I can't detect anything"
Tony's voice was sounding through her earpiece, though she also was able to hear him a little muffled through the suit. Jenna nodded, then they slowly and carefully walked towards the building, weapons drawn and taking in every little detail around them.
Everything remained quiet and unmoving, the only sounds being their own steps on the ground.
"I still have a bad feeling about this" Jenna mumbled, feeling a strange tickling at the back of her neck "It's too quiet here. I can't even hear a bird chirping"
At Jenna's unintentional comment, Tony's mind started to work, and he realized once more that on the recordings no traces of any life had been seen. Not even animals. Like someone or something was keeping them away.
"Jenna, wait!"
He hadn't even finished his sentence as they heard a mechanical humming, then a bang and in the next second the Quinjet behind them exploded, hit by a hidden missile.
"Shit!"
Jenna quickly jumped behind a near transporter and scanned the surroundings with Tony doing the same behind another vehicle.
Nothing. Everything was silent as before.
Lifting her hand, she pressed a button her headset, but before she was even able to speak a single word a metallic thump caught her attention. Something grabbed her ankle and when she looked down, she found that a hidden door had been opened below the truck, right before her feed. A masked man dressed in a leather suit with the hydra symbol imprinted in the chest was standing in the door and had taken hold of you.
Though the man's face was covered, Jenna was sure to feel him smirking at her, before he pulled her into the hole with one hard tug. She screeched as she tumbled and fell down the tunnel, passed the Hydra soldier, who calmly closed the door again, before climbing down a ladder.
"Jenna, are youzzch-"
The connection between the intercoms broke the second the door was closed.
Jenna prepared herself for the impact of landing and dried make out something in the abyss below her. Whatever laid underneath her was at least dimly lightened, so she was able to see the ground coming closer and make an elegant forward role as she landed. Still her body was contused and sprained by the impact and as she straightened up, she was looking right in the barrel of a rifle, held by another hydra soldier.
Knowing that you had to act quickly and before the other man would reach the floor, you used the momentum of your unwilling fall and just rammed your shoulder into the man's chest. Him not having expected this, stumbled and you used that moment to draw your weapon and fired. When he was laying unmoving, you grabbed his riffle and used it to get the second soldier off the ladder.
"So what now?"

Tony cursed as the connection to Jenna broke off, but he had no chance to find out were she was going as he heard the unmistaken sound of more missiles being launched.
Not a second later, his sensors alarmed him that three were heading towards him. Instantly, he took off to evade the impact, but the rockets changed direction to follow him.
"Fine, let's have a nice play of cat and mouse"
He soon found out that the missiles were of a high technical standard, since they already were hard at his heels, copying his every movement immediately, they also were evading his own attacks.
Changing his tactic, Tony flew straight towards the building and stopped right in front of it a few metres above the ground. Sweat was running off his forehead while he faced the missiles drawing closer. Just before they would hit him, he turned of his jets and dropped to the ground. The explosion of the rockets hit the wall of the base and he was pressed hard into the dirt by the shock wave. It had worked, and Tony found a gaping hole in the base after he had gotten up again and quickly he jumped through it, before they would launch more stuff at him.
Time to find Jenna.

As Jenna grabbed the second soldier's riffle, she heard muffled voices through his headset, demanding a status.
"Shit" you growled and took in your surroundings, know that there were more soldiers to come when these wouldn't answer.
Having now idea which direction to go, you simply chose one and started to run, while listening closely for anyone to arrive and trying to see if any cameras were attaches to the walls.
"They last reported at section R44"
A gruff voice echoed through the dark hallways and Jenna quickly duck behind a corner, just before a group of three Hydra soldiers marched passed her. When they were gone, she took the direction they had come from, hoping to find an exit somewhere in that direction.
Her own headset gave a cracking sound, then she heard her name vaguely through the sough.
"Stark?" she shouted as silently as possible, feeling a heavy weight being lifted of her chest as she heard his voice.
"Jenna,.....can detect you....left"
"Stark, I can barely hear you. What was the last thing"
She pressed the earpiece harder against her shell to get as much as possible.
"Go left, then straight on. I'm in the base and come towards you"
His was still silent, but at least the connection wasn't lost anymore every few seconds.
"All right"
She left her hideout to follow Tony's instructions. No more soldiers crossed her path, probably because all were out to get Iron Man, who she mused didn't sneak in the building but just blast in.
On her way, Jenna passed an opened door and the sight of computer and all kind of technical devises made her stop. Could the data they were here for be saved here?
Jenna debated with herself to go in there and check it out. This was the reason they were in this mess after all and Tony was already drawing all attention to him, or so she hoped. What better chance than now.
After one last look if anybody was near, she stepped in the door and closed the door, then chose the biggest computer to start with. She hadn't to search for long and quickly had found the information.
"Stark, can you distract them longer. I've found the data and need time to copy them?"
"No problem Jenn, I'm already creating some mess up here"
She retrieved a memory stick from her pants and attached it to the computer, knowing that know she had to work fast. Hydra wouldn't allow anyone to steal their information that quickly and she was sure that there was some intern alarm going off the second she had started to download the data.
Drawing one of the stolen rifles, Jenna got in a good position to guard the door from any intruders. Just as she thought, her robbery didn't go unnoticed, so not too much later, the door was ripped open. Jenna shot the first soldier the second he tried to step into the room, so his dead body would block the trespass and make it harder for the others to enter. She had killed three Hydra agents before they realized that just storming inside probably wasn't the right tactic.
A silent ping signalled that the download was completed, so without taking the barrel of the door, she walked backwards and retrieved the memory stick. Now all she had to do was getting out of this room.
Unfortunately this was exactly what Hydra was trying to prevent and they tried this by throwing smoke bombs into the room. As the room filled with smoke, Jenna was thinking about what to do next. She didn't really want to find out if the smoke that was evading the black capsule was just meant to decrease her sight or if they were containing some kind of toxic gas, but outside of this room Hydra was waiting.
Deciding that staying in the room, wasn't better nor worse than getting out, she decided to at least get down with a fight. She slowly made her way towards the spot, the door once had been visible and the second, she was able to make out the way outside, she jumped.
Trying to stay low to evade any projectiles, she rolled over her shoulder, whirled around while coming back to her feet and started shooting into the smoke. What at first had been a way to get her out, was no helping her to escape as the Hydra soldiers now also hardly could see you. As fast as possible, you took off while throwing away the big riffles since they were slapping uncomfortably against your side while running.
Your luck was short-lived, because as you turned the next corner you found yourself against a new row of soldiers.
"Shit" you growled as you tried to find a way out but behind you even more agents were approaching.
"I recommend you throwing away your weapons, Miss Martins"
A slender, bald man, dressed in a lab coat had stepped out from in between the rows of soldiers and pushed his round glasses up his nose "That is if you don't want to be riddled with bullets"
There was no other way to settle this right now and Jenna knew this, so she slowly took her own gun and laid it on the floor.
"The communication device, too, please"
As she removed the ear piece, she made sure to press the button, so Tony would be able to her.
"Why are you after me when Ironman is destroying your base?"
You weren't able to say more before the device joined the guns on the floor, but it should have been enough to let Tony know that you were in trouble.
"Oh, we know that you are the smaller fish here, Miss Martins but it is always good to have a bait or a lever"
The scientist signalled her with a wave of his hand to step back from the pile of her belongings and Jenna did just that while lifting her hands to the back of her head. All very slowly. She needed as much time as possible.
"Do you really think that the great Tony Stark cares that much about me?"
"Please, Miss Martins. Do you really think I am that stupid to not notice what you are trying to do? I am Jonathan Groeler, one of Hydras top scientists"
While he had spoken, he had stepped closer and drawn is own weapon, then roughly took hold of your arm.
"You others get Ironman"
Most of the Hydra agents immediately left, but two remained standing, still facing Jenna and Jonathan.
"You, too" The scientist barked but the men seemed unimpressed and didn't budge to move.
"With all respect Dr. Groeler, but you are not trained to deal with a Shield agent. We will stay to make sure she is held captive"
Jenna felt that there more going on than just the obvious and her suspicion was confirmed as the scientist lifted his weapon and shot both Hydra agents.
"What?-"
She wasn't able to finish her sentences as Groeler pulled her with him, the still hot barrel of the gun dangerously close to her temple.
"I've been waiting for too long to get out of here to let this opportunity slip"
The man's accent was getting thicker as he spoke, just as his steps became father, making it hard for the way shorter woman to follow after him.
"With Ironman causing mayhem up there, distracting those Hydra idiots and you as a lever, I finally will be able to leave"
Groeler forced Jenna up docent of stairs, then pushed her through a door onto a roof, where a helicopter was parked. After shoving the woman in, he threatened the pilot wo start, which wasn't that hard, since the man wasn't very fond of being attacked by ironman either.
Jenna watched the base getting smaller, then with an explosion one of the walls rumbled and Tony flew out of it. His sensors instantly had told him that you were in the starting helicopter, so he abandoned the attacking agents.
"Keep flying. He won't destroy the helicopter with his partner being in here"
Groeler was trying to sound confident shouting this to the pilot, but it was obvious that he wasn't hat sure about his own words.
"Actually, we were never on good terms"
The scientist looked at Jenna warily, trying to figure out if she was speaking the truth or just bluffing.
Herr emotionless expression didn't tell him anything and noticing that he was growing more nervous, she went on with her charade.
"Ever tried working with an cocky, arrogant bastard, who thinks he solve any problem with money?"
Groeler was slowly loosing it and thinking of his lever as not as precious as he thought, he decided to give it one last try.
Jenna screamed as she was thrown out of the helicopter and as the scientist hoped, Tony instantly changes his direction to catch her. The air was knock out of her lungs as she hit the suits iron chest, but she quickly clung onto the metallic frame, yet as she looked back at the helicopter, her eyes widened.
"Shit! Stark watch out"
But it was already too late. The second Tony had turned to follow Jenna, the man had grabbed a bazooka that had been stored under the seat and fired. Of course, Tony's system had warned him about the projectile, but he had the choice to either move out of the way or catch her in time. He chose the second option, then shielded her as the detonation against his back sent them both flying into the trees.