The Race

Its late night and there are bike riders who meet up to race every month in the middle of a small urban town All of the biker clubs meet up to race and recruit new members. Everyone is hanging out at a dive bar, taking swigs of beer and a tall guy on the edge of the bar observes them. He is in his biker gear, not necessarily part of any club. This is his first time attending these events since he had nothing else better to do today. Everyone's bike riding and enjoying themselves and the young boy watched silently, leaning against his own bike, curious. Its been a few hours as he watches bikers race short distances in the empty road and study the local club names, figuring out which one is the best. Getting bored, he goes back to the bar to order another drink. 

He sits down and calls for the bartender to give him an order. And as he sits, he is hesitant again. Maybe he wasn't ready to join any bike club yet. Maybe they would haze or bully him because he is barely in his mid 20's, or maybe he should try harder to get himself into graduate school. Suddenly, a smaller but older guy sits next to him at the bar but looks straight ahead, and waves his hand towards the bartender. He has short dark hair and fair skin, wearing a leather biker jacket and a denim one underneath. The bartender approaches him, "What can I get for you?"

"Just a Heineken." The guy answers and gently smiles. He turns to face the boy and gives him the same generous smile.

"Why are you all by yourself?" he asked.

"Because I want to." the boy replied, "I like being by myself."

"I see, well whenever you are tired of being to yourself, you have someone now. I am Junmyeon."

"I'm Sehun, nice to meet you."

Junmyeon smiles and takes his Heineken and sips. Sehun stares as he drinks. He has been hanging around observing people all day and never recognized this man's face.

"I haven't seen you before. What club are you from, Sehun?"

"I haven't joined one yet. I think I just rather be on my own."

"Ah, so you rather be a lonewolf, I see. No offense, but you don't look like you have been bike riding for too long. You look like a noob that just bought a bike. Is that right?" Junmyeon teased.

Sehun felt his blood flushed offensively. "I ride all the time," he protested, "I am just not a follower. I do my own thing. I don't need a club to feel like I am part of something."

Junmyeon's eyebrow raised. "Oh really? So you think you are better than all of these bikers here? How many races have you won?"

"Countless times. In my fraternity, I was the best biker rider there, and no one could beat me."

Junmyeon stares at him, intrigued. "You're bluffing."

Sehun makes a smug grin and sips his house craft beer. "I can even beat you."

Junmyeon bellows a laugh and slams his drink down suddenly, which turns peoples' head from the loud disruption. "I'll make you eat those words. Come on, let's race."

Junmyeon gets up and Sehun follows behind him out of the bar. A few bikers in the crowd watch as they both get on their bikes to race. They stare ahead of the empty bike trail, revving their bike engines.

"Ready," Sehun asked him, smirking. Junmyeon grins at him as he puts on his helmet. "Safety, first."

Sehun is reminded to wear his helmet, so he immediately puts it on and waits for someone to countdown.

"Three, two... one..." A tall guy counts between them, waving a red bandana in the air, then flags it down.

Both of the taunted bikers slammed on their gas pedal and shot past the person. The finish line was only half a mile away, and both bikes were neck to neck at the same speed. Sehun made a quick glance at his competitor and started to press the gas harder, moving slightly ahead of him. Sehun smirked. He has beat many competitors with this technique, and he is for sure going to put this experienced biker in his place. As they race closer to the finish line, suddenly a rabbit hops from the bush a few meters away, in front of Sehun. 

Sehun gasped, swerving to his left to avoid roadkill and strikes his bike against Junmyeon's, both colliding and losing control. Quicker than they realized, they planted facedown to the ground as their motorcycles left without them, and eventually falling dead in the distance. Sehun saw nothing but disturbed dust from the ground misting in his vision. As the dirt cleared, he saw the bunny hop safely across the track, disappearing into a rabbit hole.

"Are you nuts?!" Junmyeon snapped, as he got up, grunting in pain.

"You would put your life in danger over a little rabbit?" He furiously threw off his helmet and approached Sehun.

"I'm sorry," Sehun snapped back, getting back on his feet. "I can't kill an animal."

"It could have been a lot," Junmyeon pointed a finger at him, "a lot worse." He grunted as he felt the pain in his leg from the impact and of the crash. He was covered in dirt, but not seriously hurt. As Sehun walked to retrieve his bike, he suddenly fell to the ground again as an overwhelming pain spread across his hip. "Ah!!" he shrieked and breathed sharply through his nose, his vision suddenly blurry.

As if Junmyeon switched into a different personality, his eyes widened in concern. "Hey, are you alright, Sehun?" Junmyeon's puts a hand on Sehun's broad shoulder as he winced in pain. Soon, a few of the bike crew members caught up with them after they watched the bike crash.

"Junmyeon-Hyung," a tall guy yelled, jogged to the scene, "Are you okay? Is he okay?"

Sehun shut his eyes, feeling himself fainting. He suddenly felt pain in his head as his breath fogged inside of his helmet.

"I'm fine, but he is not," Junmyeon replied, helping the younger boy up. "Chanyeol, help me get him inside."