Runaway

July 31, 1975

The Knight Bus speeds down a deserted street in the middle of the night. ERNIE, the driver, quickly maneuvers the bus while holding a conversation with a talking shrunken head hanging from the dash. SIRIUS glances out one of the windows.

ERNIE: This the one?

SIRIUS: Yeah, it's this street. Thanks, Ernie. (He hands the driver the money due and grabs his trunk before exiting the bus).

SHRUNKEN HEAD: Take it away, Ern!

The Knight Bus takes off down the street, leaving SIRIUS alone in the quiet night. He makes his way up to one of the houses and knocks firmly on the door. After a few seconds, the door opens, revealing EUPHEMIA.

EUPHEMIA: Why, Sirius! What a pleasant surprise!

SIRIUS: Hey, Mrs. Potter. Is this a bad time?

EUPHEMIA: Of course not, my boy! Come in, come in, you must be freezing!

SIRIUS enters the house, letting EUPHEMIA remove his jacket and hang it up. From the staircase, JAMES come sprinting down. He and SIRIUS meet each other's gaze before running towards each other, locked in a tight embrace.

JAMES: Hey, mate! I didn't know you were coming over!

SIRIUS: Neither did I.

EUPHEMIA: Having more trouble at home, dear?

SIRIUS: (hesitating) Yeah. A little.

EUPHEMIA: Well, you're welcome here anytime. Go on into the parlor, now. I'll fix some tea.

SIRIUS: Thanks, Mrs. Potter. (He goes to pick up his trunk, but EUPHEMIA guides him into the parlor).

EUPHEMIA: Never mind that, now. Go on!

SIRIUS and JAMES go into the living room, where a fire is lit, casting a warm glow around the room, while EUPHEMIA goes into the kitchen.

JAMES: What's going on, mate?

SIRIUS: (rubbing his forehead) My family's driving me mad.

JAMES: (genuinely) What happened this time?

SIRIUS: It was Narcissa's wedding at home today-

JAMES: Oh, well, you know how much I'm a fan of her-

SIRIUS: Yeah, well. And then my brother started on me, and I couldn't do it anymore. I just left. And I'm not going back.

JAMES: You don't have to. You can stay until school starts, and then we'll get through this year-

SIRIUS: And then?

JAMES: We'll figure it out. We always do.

SIRIUS: Okay. Thanks, mate. (He and JAMES grasp each other's hands, smiling).

EUPHEMIA: (entering with a laden tea-tray) All right, boys. Drink up.

SIRIUS: Thank you so much, Mrs. Potter. I really appreciate it.

EUPHEMIA: Not a problem at all, Sirius, dear. We've got more than enough room. I'll set up the guest bedroom for you.

EUPHEMIA heads upstairs, magically summoning SIRIUS'S trunk with her.

JAMES: (clutching a cup of tea and raising it) To the new school year.

SIRIUS: (grabbing a cup and smiling) Let it be the most mischievous of all.

The two boys clink their glasses together and drink the hot tea as the fire begins to die down.