The Quiet Castle

December 31, 1975

In an empty corridor, LILY, REMUS, and SIRIUS are walking leisurely on their way to the Great Hall.

LILY: Think they'll serve anything good today?

SIRIUS: The house elves never disappoint.

REMUS: They certainly don't when you steal from them during our parties.

SIRIUS: Borrow, my good Remus.

The three laugh together, their sounds echoing throughout the hallway.

LILY: I always love the Castle when it's empty like this. It's so peaceful.

REMUS: I know. I hate it when the corridors get awfully crowded.

SIRIUS: Makes me want to just use a major Impediment Jinx and clear everyone out myself.

As they round a corner, they see SEVERUS walking down a stairwell towards the Slytherin common room carrying a large trunk.

SIRIUS: Watch it, Snivellus!

LILY: Sirius, knock it off-

SEVERUS spots them and frowns.

SEVERUS: What do you want, Black? Besides a brain, that is?

SIRIUS: Didn't think we'd be seeing your ugly face around here for a few more days.

SEVERUS: Early arrival from home. That is, the home that I'm welcomed at and didn't have to run away from.

SIRIUS: Mind yourself, Snape.

SEVERUS: (smirking) Why don't you make me, Black?

LILY: That's enough, you two-

SIRIUS: Maybe I will!

SEVERUS: Go ahead and try. Because I, unlike you, am a Prefect, and can certainly get you into a load of trouble if I want-

REMUS: Hate to break it to you, Snape, but we're Prefects, too. So unless you want points docked from Slytherin before term even starts, you better just walk away.

LILY: (mumbling) Come on, let's just go downstairs.

LILY and REMUS drag SIRIUS down the stairs, while LILY offers SEVERUS a pitiful look as she leaves.

REMUS: You don't have to start rubbish with him all the time, Sirius.

SIRIUS: Slimy little git.

LILY: Remus is right, Sirius. Just stay away from each other.

SIRIUS: Come on. You know he runs around with my cousins half the time.

LILY: Regardless. The last thing we need is trouble with the teachers-

SIRIUS: Yeah, yeah.

The three arrive at the Great Hall, and take their usual seats at the Gryffindor table where MARLENE, MARY, JAMES, and PETER are already seated.

MARLENE: Everything okay?

SIRIUS: We met Snivellus on the way here. Just a bit tense.

MARLENE: You didn't get in a duel with him, did you?

SIRIUS: No, the Prefects stopped me.

JAMES: (smiling) Good job, Remus. (He and REMUS high-five over the table).

MARLENE: Well, as long as we don't have negative points before term starts, we should be okay.

JAMES: No promises.

LILY: (smiling) Oh, shut up, Potter-

The friends laugh once more as their plates begin to fill with food.