Sirius and Marlene

August 21, 1975

Later in the day, the bright afternoon sun continues to shine over Diagon Alley. SIRIUS and MARLENE walk together down the crowded street.

MARLENE: Ooo, look at this! (She approaches a small street vendor and begins examining a string of necklaces from the cart).

VENDOR: The Neck of Glory- provides light only to the wearer. Seven sickles.

MARLENE: What do you think? (She dons the necklace, while SIRIUS smiles).

SIRIUS: Are you mad?

MARLENE: No! Why?

SIRIUS: Let's go. (He puts the necklace down and guides MARLENE down the street).

MARLENE: What's your problem?

SIRIUS: That necklace was Dark Magic, Mar. It's the same thing as the Hand of Glory from Borgin and Burke's.

MARLENE: Really? It didn't seem dangerous-

SIRIUS: My cousin has the same thing. Believe me, you're better off without it.

MARLENE: (taking SIRIUS'S hand) Look at you, being all protective of me.

SIRIUS: (smiling) You'd rather I let you put yourself in danger?

MARLENE: A little danger never killed anyone.

SIRIUS: Actually, it has.

MARLENE: Oh, live a little, Sirius. What's life without a little risk?

SIRIUS: I'm the king of risk, ask anyone.

MARLENE: Okay, risk-master. I guess you'll just have to prove it to me.

MARLENE steps forward and kisses SIRIUS briefly. They both smile before continuing down the street.

MARLENE: This year's gonna be the best yet.

SIRIUS: And why's that?

MARLENE: (taking his hand again) Because of you. (She turns around, and spots MARY approaching them from Flourish and Blott's) Uh-oh. Mary MacDonald approaching.

SIRIUS: (turning around) Wonder what she's so excited about. I guess her summer must have been pretty fascinating.

MARLENE laughs, and together the friends approach each other as the sun begins to set behind them.