The Minister's Decree

May 2, 1976

RITA: Minister, what can you say about tonight's events-

HAROLD: I will be making a speech to our gathered officials momentarily, Ms. Skeeter.

RITA: But what can you tell the public about your new legislations- ?

HAROLD: (to his guard) Get her out of here.

In the high court of the Wizengamot, HAROLD ascends to the high chair while one of his security guards holds back a rather fervent RITA SKEETER. Disappointed, she returns to the benches where a large number of Ministry workers have gathered, having been summoned after the break-in. HAROLD stands at the main podium and magically amplifies his voice.

HAROLD: Attention, everyone! Thank you for coming here tonight, but as you are all aware, we have some rather pressing matters to attend to.

Several voices speak out angrily over HAROLD, who raises his hand to silence them.

HAROLD: Quiet, please! Now, tonight we have sustained a break-in by some members of an organization known as the Knights of Walpurgis, supporters of a purporter of the Dark Arts, Lord Voldemort.

The majority of the crowd gasps at hearing the name, and HAROLD raises his hand once more.

HAROLD: They broke into the Department of Mysteries for unknown reasons. As far as we know, nothing has been stolen or damaged in any way. I am just now releasing several teams of Aurors to track down said Death Eaters and bring them to trial.

RITA: (calling loudly) What specifically are you going to do to take down the looming rise of the Dark Arts, so easily penetrating our apparently "secure" government?

Many people of the crowd nod and shout in approval of RITA'S words.

HAROLD: As of this moment, I am releasing a new decree, one that applies to any and all witches and wizards of this nation. As of the current time, the use of the Cruciatus Curse will be legal against all Death Eaters.

The crowd again goes silent at the Minister's words.

HAROLD: It is important that the people of my state be able to defend themselves, and I therefore authorize you to properly fight these Death Eaters with the same weapons that they so yield. They are recognizable by a large, black snake-and-skull tattoo on their left arms. In the event of confrontation, any witch or wizard who is attacked by a Death Eater may legally use the Cruciatus Curse against them in order to save themselves. However, they must be brought in alive to stand trial for their actions, therefore the Killing Curse as well as the Imperius Curse shall remain illegal, but do not underestimate my intention to eradicate this country of all threats to our society.

HAROLD steps down from the podium and leaves the high court, while an uproar of shouting voices sounds behind him. RITA makes her way through the crowd, attempting to further interview the Minister, but he disappears too quickly.