Steve: This Isn't Love

A/N: Part 2 to the drabble Anything But Perfect

"Dammit, where is (Y/L/N)?" Fury yelled, getting fed up with waiting for you

"Well, her and the human Dorito over there," Tony points to Steve, "got into a fight and she left. Said something about not even being an Avenger anymore when she huffed out. She was pissed!"

Fury's face contorted trying to keep his composure, "Motherf-"

"FURY!" Maria interupted.

Side eyeing Maria, he continued, "Rogers, you fucked this up, so now you better go unfuck it up. Meeting dismissed."

After the meeting Steve wondered aimlessly around the tower trying to think of ways to apologize, to show he never had meant what he said, but nothing seemed to be the right thing to him.

"Just go talk to her, you've admitted your mistakes to yourself, now it's just time to tell her," Wanda interrupted his train of thought. He didn't even need to see her face to know she read his mind.

On his motorbike he made his way to your, what had used to be, shared apartment to find your motorbike and a strange vehicle outside. His insides did flips, a slow, yet small hole, growing in him.

Any hope he had had vanished at the site.

He watched you exit the house, giggling with the strange man.

"You're lucky you're my sister. I don't usually move people's stuff for free."

You laugh again and roll your eyes, throwing the last of your stuff in his truck, you tell him to head out and let him know you'll catch up in a minute. You had one more, small bag to grab.

Steve followed you inside and waited for you in the living room. Walking out of the bedroom, bag in hand, you hadn't expected him. The atmosphere seemed to turn quickly.

"I'm sorry, (y/n). Please. I never meant those things I said. I love you."

You shook your head. "This isn't love. This wasn't the first time you said those things. This.Isnt.Love." Spitting venom between the words.

"What do you mean?" He was shocked, "of course it is. I love you, and you-you love me. Right...?" His voice drifting away at the end.

"No. No, Steve. This," you motion between the two of you, "is not love. A relationship with love isn't one sided. I loved you for who you were and who you are now. I loved you as Steve Rogers and I loved you as Captain America. You, however; never loved me for me."

"That's not true, Of course I love you for who you are," he defended.

Tears were staring to prick the corners of your eyes. You walked right up to him and got in his face, poking his chest hard with your index finger. "Stop lying to me and to yourself. You never loved me. You loved me for who you thought you could turn me into. Be honest, you saw a broken, abused, and easily manipulatable person who would do and be anything just to have someone that cared. Even if it was all a lie."

You could see the tears form in his eyes, even though he never met your gaze.

Softening your voice, you cupped your hand under his chin, making him look at you, "That's not love, Steve. As much as I wish this had been real for the both of us, it wasn't. I still love you, but I have to go."

"Will I ever see you again," he called after you, "I nee- the team needs you,"

"Tell Fury, I'll call him in a few days and let him know my decision, until then, this is goodbye," you called back.

You grabbed your bag and slung it over yourself, crossbody, and took off.

He stood there, teary eyed, watching you go, the one good thing he felt he had in his life, a side from Bucky being back,  left him empty.