Prologue

A sharply dressed woman stood silently in a small, enclosed room. She watched out a grey shaded window, her eyes following the children that innocently played on the other side. A door creaked open and a man entered. He nodded at the woman, who paid him no attention. They stood next to each other, silent. The room was bland, walls were made of white brick and the floor made of simple tiles.

Her face was tired and pale, her nutmeg hair was pinned back tightly, and her grey eyes sat motionless around the sea of darkly colored bags. She wore the typical navy blue woman's business suit and short black heels.

"How was the raid?" The man questioned.

He too wore a suit, his was darker and had a blue colored tie that peaked out from the center. Sunglasses partly hid his face.

"Just as hard as the last." She said flatly. "We rescued 4, there were a couple young ones that were being kept alive by spells and potions... We had to... Put them down."

The man shook his head. "Terrible, they're just kids. I don't know how you do it, Lavinia."

She took a breath, then spoke softly. "I found evidence of another house."

"Where?" The man asked.

"Northern Canada."

He nodded and rested his arm against the window, peering in with a concerned look on his face. His eyes studied the children. One was abnormally tall, he was the loudest of the bunch. He stomped around with one of the stuffed toys singing to himself. He looked to be around eight. Another one, a girl, sat on the floor with some cars. She was extremely small, had large eyes and a deformed long nose. She looked to be around three. There was one who ran around the room, hobbling with his tiny legs. He too was small but did not share the same large eyes as the girl, his face was long and his mouth, small. It was hard to tell his age from a simple glance. Lastly, a boy, who crawled on the floor because his legs never properly formed. He smiled with each discovery of a new toy. He looked to be around five.

"How many?"

"One. Just one."

He furrowed his brows. "That's strange, usually they have seven or eight of them crammed into one building."

"This one's different, she's special."

The man looked to the woman called Lavinia "How special?"

"Non-Being, older than 12 months."

The man thought for a moment, his eyes going back to the children in the other room.

"Sort out adoption, then go. We can't keep them in there forever."

The woman nodded.