Chapter 10

Laz and I are sitting in the wampus common room. Since it's the first day, the room is almost packed wall to wall with students. Luckily, we got a spot on one of the sofas. It's a grey two-seater, but we have enough room to face each other,  though Laz is so long that his knees cross into my half. 

"Promise not to take this the wrong way" He says, looking at me with a half-serious look on his face. 

This is going to be good. 

"Okay?" 

"Did you get sunburnt or something? Your face is kind of red." 

Oh my god, I forgot about the blush. 

"Its makeup, I don't know, I thought it'd look nice or something?" I ramble. 

I sound so stupid right now. 

"Well, you don't need it." He starts.

Is the Lazarus Spinder about to compliment me? What world am I living in?

"-Because it makes you look like a discount clown with only two colors of face paint." 

I can't stop my eyes from rolling.

"That's not even a good joke" I say flatly. 

Just as he was about to defend his weak comedy, a first year approached us. He was small, wore pristine robes, and had a smirk ear to ear across his face. 

"Excuse me, are you our resident ghost?" He asks suavely. 

Behind him, a group of pre-pubescent boys stood watching and giggling. They are all an inch or two taller than the boy, who is still in front of me waiting for a reply, so I figured he got pressured into asking or something.

I was going to let him down easy like I normally do, and maybe even force a fake laugh. But, as I was opening my mouth Laz interjected. 

"Look up the definition of albino, then go back to your little group and explain it." 

The boy awkwardly stood there, not knowing how to react to Laz's comments. Like I said, Laz is a tall guy, so I guess he could intimidate a first year if he tried. The weird thing about it though was that Lazarus stood up for me. It's not like I never thought he wouldn't, but at the moment I just assumed he would take the opportunity to make a joke at my expense (per usual). 

It was nice. 

Before we could say anything else, the kid darts back to his group. I watch him explain what happened and the boys laugh like it's the funniest thing they've ever heard. 

Sadly, this happens a lot. People say things or make jokes that never let me forget that I'm different. Even at home. My nickname 'Pastey' always reminds me that I'm the odd one out. Even in a household full of abnormal children, I still feel like an outsider. 

The room starts to empty out as time passes. Laz and I stay on the sofa catching up until the candles turn on. We talk about our summers, our families, and what we look forward to this year. 

He's from Brooklyn and lives with his Mother and Father. His father's British and moved here to work for MACUSA. He has no siblings and is pretty well off in my opinion. According to him, he spent his summer sweating and pranking no-majs. 

"Is it getting cold in here or is it me?" He asks, looking around for a blanket. 

No, but it's me. 

I shrug and say "I'm not cold."

He leans over to pull a fur blanket off of a chair near us, and just as he grabs hold of it, somebody starts to speak.