Chapter 14

Sam and I walk out of the dining hall, pushing past all the tired students who just want their morning coffee. He seems nervous. As we pass through the large entrance doors I try to make eye contact with him but the big guy avoided looking at me.

"What's this about again?" I ask innocently.

He looks down at me, runs his hand through his messy natural hair, then shrugs.

"Kate said something about a beach."

A beach? What? Why would she want to talk about a beach? There's no beaches around here.

"A beach?"

"Yeah, the beach of confidence." He mutters as we turn the corner.

Ugh, Sam.

"You mean a breach of confidence?" I correct.

"I don't know what Kate expects, it's early. She comes over and yaps in my face and then tells me to get you." He says defensively.

"I probably would have made the same mistake," I tell him.

He scrunches his eyebrows together, almost like he's mulling that statement over in his head, then brushes off my comment. "It's stupid, nobody else here has family meetings."

He right. If the absurd look of our family isn't enough to draw attention to us, our family meetings are. Kate and Emil like them because it makes them feel important, Kate especially. 

"Ya, it's weird."

We turn the corner to our short hallway with the Victorian painting and I see Sam glance down at me. He opens his mouth, makes a half grunt then decides against it. 

"What?"

"They told me not to say, but you're in trouble."

Just as he says that I meet eyes with Julien. His eyes are open wide as he darts them to the floor, and the expression on his face tells me he told them something. Great. Now, don't get me wrong, Julien is one of my closet friends as well as my favorite sibling, but sometimes he cracks and tries to do what he thinks is right.

I just don't know why I would be in trouble. Nobody knows about Addanc. 

"Now that we're all here," Kate says importantly as we approach "we can start."

Giving them a half smile, I move over to Julien who's standing across from the golfer. He gives me a soft, guilty, smile and then faces forward to avoid eye contact. Great. 

"Olive, we heard about the incident." Emil adds. 

What incident?

Everyone's eyes move to me as if they are waiting for me to spill my guts about exactly what happened, even the golfer, but honestly, I don't know what they're talking about. So, I shrug. Kate face goes from slightly bothered to very irritated. She huffs and crosses her arms. 

"Don't play dumb. You should have told us." She snaps. 

"Told you what?" I say defensively. 

"That bratty girl in your year, her exposing us all!" Kate shouts, cutting me off and scaring the poor golfer. 

The painting scowls. "Goodness girl keep your voice down!" 

"He's right, and it wasn't that bad Kate just," Emil begins, taking a pause to sigh. Then, he continues in a frustrated monotone voice. "Olive please tell us what happened with Ninfa."

What? how do they know about that? I never told Julien. 

"Nothing." I huff. 

Julien shifts uncomfortably next to me. "Laz told me, we was worried about you. He asked if your Albinism was terminal."