Disconnect

Chapter 3

Picture is Steven

Arya’s POV

<Flash back>

“You OK?” A boy with pitch black hair is staring at me.

“Yeah,” I grab his hand, he helps me up and I touch the raw skin on my face.

“Here,” he holds a cold water bottle to my cheek, “where’s your house? Let me help you home.” He puts his arm on my waist and pulls my arm around his shoulders, helping me walk and he smiles a little at me, concern tugging at his eyes.

<Real time>

“Arya?” I flinch and see Steven looking at me.

“Sorry,” I giggle, seeing his look of concern.

We’re lying on the couch watching cartoons, with his head on a cushion on my lap. He’s so sweet; I’ve never had a friend who is so attentive. I’ve only know him for a little while, but he’s the best friend I’ve ever had. I blush happily and kiss his forehead in a joking way, my snakebites cold against the warmth of his skin between his hair.

A door slams.

“Dammit! My mom’s home!” I jump up in shock.

“What’s wrong?”

“My bruises, I don’t have concealer on. My mom will freak. Cover for me?” I run upstairs to my room flash my face back to normal and rush down to find my mom talking to Steven, him blushing up a storm.

“No, I swear ma’am we’re just…”

I burst out laughing, Steven? Calling someone ma’am? He stops talking immediately, going even redder.

“Oh um hey…” My mom smiles as she walks away and hugs me on her way to her room.

We spend the rest of the night watching movies and baking together, Steven even falls asleep on the couch, flour all over his face. So I just sneak up to my room and go to bed.

But the nightmares keep me awake, so I hide in the bathroom to cry and draw red lines on my arms to disconnect.