Chapter 6: Luna: The Grandmother

I do not own this picture

------------------------------------

Luna sat on a flat rock in the middle of a golden grassy field in the southern hemisphere of Ultris. The sun was slowly sinking along the horizon, turning the white clouds into shades of purple and orange. Farther south behind her were giant, rocky mountains and grassy valleys. Somewhere in the maze of rocks, was the small, hidden house from her childhood. As she went through her happiest memories from her home, a small, cool breeze blew through her long, golden hair.

It had been ages since Luna visited the field. Her mother and father would bring her there to meditate in the peaceful scenery. After their death, she rarely visited the place since it brought back painful memories. However, when she did visit, she shapeshifted into her true form. There weren't any villages or trading routes anywhere near the field, so no one would see her as Luna Starborn. It was nice to put down Captain Katari's stoic demeanor for once.

"There is Passion, yet Peace," Luna breathed as she began to recite the Gray Jedi Code. "There is Strength, yet Serenity."

A small breeze began to blow around her as the Light Amulet grew warm against her chest. The amulet was no longer hidden under her armor, instead, it was laid on top of her chest plate. As she continued the code, her hair and small pebbles around her began to float.

"There is Power, yet Harmony," Luna breathed again. The rock beneath her began to tremble. "There is Chaos, yet Order. In Life there is Freedom."

Luna focused on her breathing and her surroundings. She needed a reminder of who she was before she left her planet. She needed to be at peace with her final decisions before she left her friends, and she needed to question her future decisions.

"In Death there is Purpose." Luna paused and opened one eye, expecting one of her parents to show up as a Force Ghost and tell her this was a bad idea. After a few moments of silence, she continued. "I will do what I must to guard the Balance. For the Force is all things, and I am the Force."

"For a while, I thought you forgot the code." An ancient female voice mused behind her.

Breaking her concentration, Luna's eyes shot open when she gasped. She stood up and turned around to see the Grandmother standing only a few steps away from her. Instead of being known for her powerful connection with the Force, the people of Ultris saw the Grandmother as the exiled advisor to Queen Pandora. When Queen Pandora was crowned queen after her parents' death, she cast the Grandmother away. From what Luna knew from the historical records, the queen didn't trust her because of her secrecy. Because of this, Queen Pandora placed her in the Southern Hemisphere - far away from any civilization.

Luna met the Grandmother when she was very young. She would visit from time to time and teach her the ways of the Force. She was a good teacher in a strange way. Everything she said was like trying to decipher a riddle. Even Luna's parents didn't know what the old lady was talking about half of the time.

The small, dark-skinned woman stepped forward with her long wooden stick in hand. "It has been a while, Luna Starborn." Grandmother hummed happily.

Luna nodded. "It has, two years I believe."

The Grandmother nodded and walked to the front of the stone. Taking a deep breath, she slowly sat down and covered her wrinkled hands with her red robe. After placing her wooden staff next to her, she exhaled and closed her eyes.

"So, you're leaving Ultris to fight the Separatists, hm?" The Grandmother asked.

Luna furrowed her brow, bewildered. "How did you know-"