Chapter 4

Don't forget to vote and comment!

(If you don't, you'll step on a lego)

Follow me to become a member of #TEAMBLOSSOMS!

I keep my eyes glued to the empty chalkboard and don't turn around this time. My breathing goes labored as I feel him lean forward, watching me for my reaction.

Well, I'm not going to give him one.

I purse my lips and stay stuck in that frozen position until the bell rings, signaling the next period which just so happens to also be lunch.

I bite my lip and make a grab for my backpack, straightening up and dashing out of the classroom. I stand at the door and watch everyone file out, waiting for that Alex character.

When he see's me standing there, he moves out of the way and walks with me down the opposite side to which people are heading.

"Hey-"

"It's April," I say, crossing my arms.

He knits in his eyebrows and pulls out his phone, pulling up the calendar.

"Really? Last time I checked it was November."

I shake my head and roll my eyes. "No. April. As in my name. You asked for it, didn't you?"

He laughs out loud, "A little slow on the up-take there aren't you?"

I carefully watch him, scrutinizing his features. I focus on the scar at the side of his lip. A small imperfection on an otherwise perfect face...

An imperfection resulting as a cause of...

I suddenly remember something and look away in embarrassment. I clear my throat and put my hands on my hips.

"So...I suppose I should thank you."

"Thank me?"

Alex shakes his head and laughs. "For what? My existence? You're welcome."

I smile at his snark, which I can vividly remember from our last encounter.

"No, for the reason you...You know...Got knocked up that last time."

Alex's smile slowly disappears as he remembers that fight he got himself tangled up into.

"How did you hear about that? And why should you thank me, it doesn't concern you."

I shrug. "It concerns me more than you think. That boy you saved was my little brother. I wanted to thank you that first day, but you had already left and I never got a chance, so...Thank you."

I shuffle my feet and stare at the ground. I can feel his gaze on me, and I wish I could read his mind. Is he embarrassed? Does he feel bad? Is he...Mad?

After a few seconds of silence, I look up at him. His face is stoic and he looks almost thoughtful. A moment passes and he shakes his head.

"You don't need to thank me. I did what I do on instinct. Shit happens, all right?"

Shit happens. The go-to explanation for literally anything.

I take in a deep breath. "Yes, I do. Ethan could have really gotten hurt you know."

"His name's Ethan?"

I nod.

"Well. Tell Ethan I wish him all the best and that he should learn a bit more self-defense. Assuming the fetal position when you're being pounced on is not exactly the smartest thing to do."

He smiles and all traces of his seriousness have disappeared. He lightly claps my shoulder and walks away, leaving me standing there nonplussed.

                                                                 ...

I find my normal lunch table with Charity and Mason, next to the lacrosse group.

Mason leans into the table and spins a bottle on its side, looking up when I sit down. Charity stares at a point across the room and nudges both of our shoulders.

"See that guy?"

I look up, and Mason and I stare at the direction she's pointing at. Mason shrugs.

"He's a transfer from Indiana. I think he has some kind of boxing streak and scholarship nearby. Finishing up his education."

My eyes focus on Alex and I shake my head. "Indiana? And boxing? Where'd you get this information?"

Mason digs into his food with a fork and continues spinning the bottle with one hand.

"Quinn told me."

I nod. "Gotcha."

Quinn is Mason's girlfriend. They've been going out for the past couple of months, and she's a genuinely nice girl. All I'll say is that if they break up, I'm going to be so mad I wasted all that money on Quinson t-shirts.

Charity leans on her fist and looks at Mason. "She works for the student body office?"

Mason nods. "I used to hate it, because she couldn't come to lunch with us, but now it's pretty useful. I get all the deets on everyone here."

"No one says deets anymore." Charity laughs, leaning back on the bench.

I chuckle and tear my eyes away from Alex to look at Mason.

"What else do you know about the guy?"

Mason slides his bottle right-side up and takes a sip.

"He has a pretty bad track record. He's always getting himself into fights and what-not....Oh, and-"

He lowers his voice conspiratorially. "He's a player."

"Player?"

Charity shakes her head. "What else is new? This is Roosevelt High School, we're chock-full of them."

"Player?" I repeat. "Alex?"

I find it difficult to digest, but I shouldn't. He has the looks that must make most girls turn to putty in his hands. With his physique, aura and that face...Why am I so incredulous?

It must be because I find it hard to believe he's a bad person, after what he did for Ethan. Surely someone who stood up for my little brother...Who took hits for him...Can't be all that bad.

Mason nods at us. "He's left many a girl crying in his wake. Trust me...That guy's a monster. You should see what he's done to his ex's. Left them broken, leading them on to think he loved them only to move every couple of months for his boxing regime."

I nod and don't press the issue any further. I don't feel like reminiscing some stupid coincidence from, like, four months ago. It was just that, a coincidence.

I've said my thank-you's and I don't owe this guy anything.

I look back over my shoulder across the room and catch Alex's eye. He winks at me and seats himself at a table.

I turn back around and let out a long breath.

Hello player. Meet your coach.