Chapter 30

A L E X

The class lasts for longer than I ever remembered a period to go by for, but that's probably because April is there for the first time since I received that warning from my father. Of course she's confused. She knows nothing about it, and so my aloofness must have stung more than she's letting on. Either that or not at all because she's acting like nothing happened and I'm avoiding her to get her to notice me.

Which I wasn't. But all the same, I'm glad she did.

As everyone gets to their feet, I spot all the friends she's temporarily broken it off with all in their separate corners, shooting each other furtive glances and glares, either mad, slightly depressed and all dysfunctional over their separate grievances. April keeps her eyes glued to her bag, shoving all her books in and doing her best to ignore them.

I shake my head and suddenly feel the tiniest drop of pity for her, which I know she would hate if she knew. I know what it's like to lose friends you were close to. Maybe these exact circumstances are completely different, but I sympathize with the general feeling.

I think back to what my father said about keeping to myself and the vow I made to stay away from April for everyone's good, but looking at her now from a foot away I can't help but hate myself for it. 

Fuck it.

When she turns I put a hand on her shoulder and let out a deep breath.

"Want to tell me what's going on with them?"

She looks up at me with shock drawn all over her face and I wince. She's amazed I have the balls to talk to her. Amazed I'm even acknowledging her presence besides me after ignoring her all day. She's already figured out I've been doing it on purpose.

"I-Well...It's the same I guess. I've been trying to do what you said-"

"What I said?"

"Yeah, like listening instead of injecting myself in the drama they're all in. Can't help but feel guilty though, you know?"

I shake my head and allow myself the tiniest of smiles.

"You actually followed my advice? Amazing. You never do that."

It's a jab and I instantly feel bad for saying it but she only laughs, relieved we're on speaking terms again.

"Yeah, well it was good advice. Up until about an hour ago when I stopped following it and it led to this huge argument between like two of them. Quinn is okay. Surprisingly. She's strong you know? And if I were her I don't know how I would have processed anything that's been happening but she's doing okay."

I nod and she sighs, looking away and dropping her gaze from mine for a second before looking back up.

"I just don't think there's any use in trying to fix the relationship between Charity and Mason though, which sucks because they're both my closest friends."

I roll my eyes. "Charity. Ah, yes, I know her well. She fucking hates me."

April scoffs, crossing her arms and letting the strap of her bag hang from one of her arms. "That's not true."

"Oh, really? She's staring daggers at me right now."

April turns her head to spot her friend looking at us disgustedly. Well, namely me. She never liked me from the start, and maybe it's just a territorial friends thing, but I don't think she's ever said a single nice thing to or about me.