Chapter 23

Don't forget to vote and comment!

(If you don't, you'll step on a lego)

Follow me to become a member of #TEAMBLOSSOMS!

A L E X

We're still laughing when we walk into the store, her hair getting thrown backwards and flickering in the wind like a flame. Her laugh is infectious and I'm suddenly glad I came. I am no longer thinking about my Dad and how much I despise him, but instead focused on the red-headed girl standing two feet away who is currently pulling open the door.

I step out of the way and let her through, leaning back against the frame and taking a moment to adjust my eyes to the bright pastel colors swirling all around me. 

I'm not used to this vibrancy. I thrive in dark corners and musty rooms and lockers. I've grown up on it. This is going to take some getting used to.

I blink like a mole rat seeing the sun for the first time and quickly rub my eyes. April spins to face me, tugging on my arm and moving towards the cash register.

"Come on, there's barely a line. You don't know how rare that is."

I nod keenly and squint in the direction of a waitress with a ridiculous cap in the shape of a shake balanced atop her head. She's standing behind the register, beaming at us and gesturing a menu in our direction.

We walk towards her and April flips it open, angling the pages so I can get a glimpse at our choices. 

After a few moments of intense debate, we both settle for a root beer float, her because she likes root beer flavored dum dums, and me because I'm scared to try the "Whirlwind Wheezy."

The waitress nods and a small amount of froth from her hat spills forward onto the rim. I'm amazed none of it is pooling on the floor, and so I figure it must be fake until she reaches up, dips her fingers in the froth and licks it clean off before waltzing into the back room.

I shake my head and walk with April towards a booth in the corner. She settles down in the far end and leans her head against the wall. Her hair frames her face and her eyes follow the swirling décor of the table we are currently seated at, which looks like a dysfunctional lollipop.

I chuckle and her eyes snap to mine defensively. "What?"

I shake my head. "Nothing. It's just...This entire place..."

She bites her lip. "You hate it, don't you?"

I quickly shake my head. "Hate it? God, no. I'll admit I'm a little surprised though. This is a bit much."

She sighs and slumps in her seat. "Maybe this was a bad idea."

"No, I appreciate the thought. And I like milkshakes, so, there's that."

"You said you didn't drink them."

I laugh. "You're right. I never said I didn't like them though."

April smiles and lets out a long drawn out breath. "I just wanted to do something for you that you wouldn't completely refuse. I mean, after all you did, and after I've been such a bitch..."

I shake my head once again. "I didn't really do much. Nothing no decent person would have done. Although, you're right about one thing..."

She leans forward.

"You kind of were bitchy about it."

Her eyes roll back and her shoulders shake with laughter. "Yeah, okay, I deserved that."