Chapter 11

Pony P.O.V.

I listened as Darry closed the door to my room. I haven't actually slept at all this evening.

I felt guilty considering how concerned Soda was over the matter, but I couldn't help but remember that voice. 

Your a murderer!  It's your fault mom and dad are dead!

Maybe the voice is right. I'm tired of convincing myself that I'm innocent.

Darry and Soda didn't really love me. They were just waiting till the day I left.

Baby, honey, little Colt, it was all just an act. They didn't really care.

I bet when I ran away to Windrixville they were glad. I bet they wished I died from the fire instead of Johnny.

It's all my fault. If I wasn't here than everyone would be better off. I bet they wouldn't even notice if I was gone.

That day when Darry hit me. He probably waited his whole life to do that. Just to see me hurt, scared, upset. 

That's why I'm doing this, Im doing them all a favor. The least I can do is make a right move for once.

I grabbed my school backpack off the floor and emptied out the contents.

I replaced the once book-filled bag with clothes, hair grease, and "Gone With The Wind." 

I went into my dresser drawer and grabbed my allowance money. It wasn't much but it beat going hungry.

I grabbed Dally's jacket and pulled it on. Slinging the backpack over my shoulder I looked around. 

I grew up in this room. This was the room where me and Soda spent countless hours playing games and watching outside the window. 

This was the room where mom would come to read us bedtime stories.

And the three little boys lost their parents in an awful car crash. And it was all Ponyboy Curtis' fault.

I don't belong here. 

I cracked open the window and took a deep breath as the cold air met my skin. The stars twinkled in the dark night sky and a light breeze blew my hair every which way.

I leaped from the window and winced when my feet hit the ground.

"Well, it's now or never," I said under my breath.

And without another thought I turned my back to the house and started walking. 

I didn't exactly know where on earth I was going, but anywhere away from my brothers was a start. 

I looked around the normally packed streets. Everything was abandoned and silent, the only sound a stray grocery bag blowing across the lot.

I peered into the darkened shop windows looking at all the displays.

My face paled though as I saw a blue mustang approaching in the reflection of the glass.

Not this time....this time I'm gonna be safe. 

I bolted around the corner and ran until the sound of the roaring engine faded away and the sound of old tires softened.

I ran into a dark alley way and squatted behind the trash cans. 

This'll do.

 I curled up against the bags and took off Dally's jacket and used it to cover my shivering arms.

For the first genuine time that evening I drifted off to sleep.

—————

Darry P.O.V.