Chapter 33

Two More Days Later

It was finally time for me to go see Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812.

While looking through my closet and wondering what I should wear that night, I found the black lace dress that Jasmine gave me.

I smiled, remembering the last time I'd worn it.

I hadn't seen Jazzy in a long time, so wearing the dress would keep a piece of her with me. Plus, it was a fabulous dress, so I won twice.

I wore my kinky curly hair in two French braids, discovering that the hairstyle was beneficial and easier for my cochlear implants.

I drove to the theater and let them scan my ticket. They handed me a playbill, and I went inside to find my seat.

Great Comet is very interesting theatre experience, not only because it's an opera that refuses to stick with one genre of music, but it's also a dinner theater.
And I've been told that the musician characters randomly hand you their instruments.

My phone buzzed.

Oak

«did you make it?»

«yes! I found my seat too!»

«good job!»

«it's rude to be patronizing»

«Sorry. Have fun.»

«my favorite person is in it how could I not have fun??»

«am I the favorite person?»

«Amber Gray, actually.»
«you're a close second»

«ouch»
«it's starting. Love you»

«I love you too! Break a leg»

I silenced my cellphone and put it away as the lights dimmed.

Well, actually, they didn't dim like a normal theater does. They dimmed a little, but there were lights all over the ceiling. Weird, fancy lights that kind of looked like mini suns.

The strange sound began, and I smiled as Oak stepped into his place, playing the accordion.

So, I cried, I laughed, and I was absolutely blown away by Denée Benton's voice and performance.

'Charming' gave me chills, actually seeing it in real life.

But I think my favorite part was 'The Abduction'. The dancing was really fun to watch.

I absolutely adored the ending, and was sincerely wishing that a sequel would be made in which Hélène dies and Natasha and Pierre get married.

I assumed that I would gather my ticket, playbill, and coat to leave after the audience applauded at final bows, but I was mistaken.

We finished clapping, and then were asked to sit back down by the director. We were asked to remain in the theater for a few moments more.

The director then handed the microphone to Oak, and walked offstage.

"Good evening," Oak said. "My name is Okieriete Onaodowan, and I play Pierre. Um, I would like to call someone up to the stage, and I know she's gonna kill me for this, but could Jada Astor come stand up here with me?"

My hands started shaking and my head grew hot. I slowly stood from my seat and navigated my way through the tables of people, all watching me go by.

Surely he knew I hated this kind of public attention?

The look on his face as I walked up told me that it was somehow a necessity.
He took my hand gently as I walked to stand next to him. He felt the heat under my skin and held it tighter in a reassuring manner.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is my girlfriend, Jada, who came to see the show for the first time tonight." He said, his eyes never leaving mine. "I first met Jada in Lin Miranda's Hamilton, and we've now been dating for about two years. I eventually left Hamilton to come take over for Josh Groban in this production, and I invited her to come see it. Jada, how did you like the show?" He asked me.

"I liked it very much." I said, nodding.

Why was he making me do this?

He smiled, nodding back. "Good, I'd hoped you'd like it. One of my favorite parts of the whole show is Pierre's last conversation with Natasha. You remember that part?"

"Yes." I nodded again.

"My favorite line from that scene, um, Pierre tells Natasha," he cleared his throat, beginning to look slightly nervous. "'If I were not myself, but the brightest, handsomest, best man on earth, and if I were free, I would get down on my knees this minute, and ask you for your hand, and for your love.' Do you remember that part?"

I nodded, growing confused, but an explanation was beginning to dawn on me.

"Well," he continued, squeezing my hand and slowly sinking down on one knee. "I am only myself, not the brightest, not the handsomest, not the best man on earth, and yet I get down on my knees this minute, and ask you for your hand, and for your love." He set the microphone down on the stage and reached his hand into his pocket, pulling out a small box.

He let go of my hand for a mere two seconds to open the box, before gripping it tightly in his again.

Inside the small box was a ring of rose gold, with the main gem in the middle of the metal band, and a three smaller ones on each side.

My eyes had started stinging before he had even finished his sentence, and now I could not stop the tears that slipped down my cheeks.

He looked up at me, and spoke to me, his words filled with everything he was. "Will you marry me?"

I don't remember if I was able to choke out a "Yes", but I remember nodding rapidly, so I think the point got across. The audience applauded once more as he slipped the ring on my finger and stood straight, pulling my trembling figure into his arms.

"I love you." He whispered into my ear.

"I love you too." I said, still smiling uncontrollably.