Chapter 34

"I never really understood engagement parties." I said to Pippa, taking a sip of my tea.

She laughed. "You'll have fun."

"It's been fun, I just mean that it doesn't make sense to me. Why have an engagement party when you're going to have a wedding?"

"Because, that way, if any of us aren't able to make it to the wedding, we will at least have gotten to see you here."

I shrugged. "I guess that makes more sense."

"Enjoy yourself tonight, then." Pippa instructed. "That's an order."

I laughed. "This is basically a cast reunion, so I don't think enjoying myself will be a problem."

She pointed to the door of the cafe. "I think some of your favorites just arrived."

I followed her gaze and nearly jumped out of my seat. I walked as quickly as I could to where they were standing, hanging their coats up.

Anthony turned around right as I slammed into him. "You didn't tell me you were going to make it!"

He laughed, holding onto me as tight as he could. "I couldn't miss my little sister's engagement party." He pulled back and took my face in his hands, smiling down at me. "Look at you."

"You look beautiful!" Jazzy exclaimed.

Anthony released me so I could embrace her as well.

"Is that the black lace dress?" She asked, looking me over. She tugged on one of the braids.

I nodded. "This is what I was wearing when it happened, so I thought I'd wear it again."

She smiled. "You wore the black lace dress when he proposed?"

"I did!"

She hugged me again. "I'm so happy for you guys!"

"Jada," Oak said from behind me, "Denée and Amber are here and they'd like to meet you."

"Okay. Anthony and Jazzy, Renee, Pippa, and Lin are already here somewhere. I'll be back in a sec." I said before following Oak over to the back corner of the small cafe.

"Amber Gray, and Denée Benton," Oak introduced them to me.

"It's so nice to meet you!" Denée said, shaking my hand. "We've heard so much about you!"

"Oak never shuts up about you." Amber teased him. "But I've gotta admit, everything he said was true."

I raised my eyebrows. "What'd he say?"

Denée smirked. "It would take me too long to recall every description he's given us, but I remember them nearly making you out to be a goddess."

"I wasn't wrong!" Oak protested. "Amber, tell her I wasn't wrong."

She shrugged. "He wasn't wrong."

"Thank you." I said, laughing.

"Oh," Denée suddenly pointed behind me. "You've got someone—"

"Boo!" He shook me by the shoulders.

"Diggs!" I nearly screamed, turning around and shoving him backwards.

He laughed and managed to lock me in an embrace.

"So, I brought another cake." He said.

I looked up at him. "Another cake?"

He nodded. "And sandwiches. Anthony told me you like sandwiches."

I shot a glare at Anthony, who was close enough to hear our conversation, and was trying to keep himself from snickering.