One year since

Authors note:

This is my first fan fiction!! So please, give feedback, I would like to know anything that I should improve on!! Also, in my story, the characters are about seventeen years of age, they are a bit older than some other fanfics, but that's the way it is! Thanks! Enjoy!!

~Maka's P.O.V~

I woke up to the sound of frying and instantly panic, wondering what's on fire. In my small scramble, I jump up and tumble out of bed. My face smashes against the wood floor as pain surges through my left cheek, sending out a large bang throughout the apartment.

"Maka?" I hear a familiar voice ring out. It's Soul, coming from the kitchen. "Are you alright?" He askes, in a concerned voice.

I realize that the sound of frying is just him making breakfast and I blush from embarrassment by thinking it was a fire. It's probably eggs and bacon, judging by the smell.

"Yeah, I'm fine!" I yell back, in answer to his question.

Picking myself up of of the wooden beams that make up my bedroom floor, I throw my tussled blankets back on my bed in a manner that is relatively neat. Rays of golden sunlight make their way into my bedroom through my window as the sun begins to rise. I use my hand to block the unwanted light as it shines in my eyes and makes me squint.

"Maka! Breakfast is ready!" I hear Soul yell from the kitchen as I open my bedroom door.

"Coming!" I answer back, groggily.

I sleepily stumble down the hallway of the apartment and into the kitchen to get some food before I get ready for school. Soul hands me a plate with two eggs, and some pieces of bacon.

"Eat up!" he says

"Thanks." I respond, taking the plate and heading towards the table.

As Soul and I sit down to eat our meal, I remember that tomorrow is my seventeenth birthday. It's already been a year, it passed by so quickly.

My thoughts are interrupted by Soul who starts to speak.

"Don't think I forgot your birthday! It's already been one year since you turned sixteen!" He says, as if reading my thoughts, "... It's already been about one year since we defeated the Kishin..." Soul adds, in a soft mumble.

I shiver at the thought. Why is Soul brining this up? I remember it clearly, though I wish I didn't.

The black blood in my veins, swallowing Soul and I, endless battles, with the fate of humanity on our shoulders. Worst of all, the Kishin, Asura, and his madness, engulfing everyone and everything, testing their sanity, twisting their brains and wringing what's left out.

That's also when Soul finally became a death scythe and I found out that I was part scythe, which came from my idiotic, immature, womanizing papa. I cringe at the idea that I am related to him.

"Maka?" Souls voice makes me jump in suprise, "Everything cool?" He says while looking at me with questioning, crimson, eyes. I guess I zoned out for too long, lost in my thoughts.

"Oh, um, y-yeah, it's all good." I stammer while blushing. Why am I blushing anyway? Soul's not a stranger, what is there to be embarrassed about?

"That's good," he says while getting up to put his plate away. "By the way, tommorow, we are invited over to Kid, Liz and Patty's house for the party." Soul adds.

"What party?" I ask, still a bit sleep deprived and rubbing my eye.

"Don't you remember anything?" Soul says, looking at me like I'm crazy, "your birthday party! Jeez!"

That's right! I got so cough up in my past, that I forgot! We were even just talking about it, I must be an idiot to forget!

"Right! I'm going to get ready for school now!" I say, then I scamper off to my room to get changed after dropping my plate in the sink.

~Soul's P.O.V~

Maka runs off down the hall and slams her door shut behind her, filling the apartment with a bang for a split second. The sound makes me cringe and I lean against the kitchen counter, already exhausted. Why does Maka have to get so excited for school? So uncool.

I chuckle under my breath as I picture Maka with her cute pigtails and emerald eyes, studying late at night... Wait. Why am I thinking of my mister as cute?! I sigh with defeat, and decide to go get changed.

I walk into my room and shut my door behind me. Taking out my school uniform, I start getting changed. Once I'm done, I slip a thin black headband into my white hair and look into the mirror. I look pretty cool. I walk out of the room and over to Maka's door.

Knocking on the door three times, I say "Maka! Time to go! Or we'll be late!"

"One second!" She replies. After turning away and walking a few steps down the hall, I hear the creek of a door and suddenly, Maka come flying past me and out the front door. I smirk and follow her out.

"Come on Soul!" She yells back at me.

"Coming!" I say, as I lock the apartment door, and follow her down the streets of Death City, towards the DWMA.