Chapter 17

Frostbite's POV

Frostbite finally arrived at the outskirts of the Ice Kingdom. Then she spotted an arctic hare and shoved it in her mouth. When her stomach was full, she lay down for a nap. She closed her eyes, thankful for the texture of the crispy snow.

"Help," a voice croaked.

Frostbite's eyes snapped open. Was that real?  she thought.

"Save me," the same voice croaked.

Okay, so it's real, Frostbite thought. But where did it come from?

"Over here," said the voice to her right.

Frostbite gasped in shock. Behind a cluster of bushes, five guards were lying in a bloody heap, and Bear- her beloved father- had lost both of his hind legs, and there was a pool of dark blue collecting underneath the two stumps.

"WHAT HAPPENED?!!" Frostbite roared.

"Tern did this..." he answered, his voice barely audible.

Tern? Her brother? Oh no, oh no oh no... this couldn't be possibly happening...

"Where is Queen Aurora?" Frostbite asked, her heart beating faster and faster.

"She's gone," answered Bear.

"Forever?" asked Frostbite.

"Forever," confirmed Bear hoarsely. "Listen, Frostbite, I won't last much longer... but you can be the queen now. Queen Frostbite of the IceWings..." He paused for a few heartbeats. "I bid you farewell. I will be forever a part of the moons."

Bear's eyes drifted closed. He gasped one last breath, then no sound came from him at all.

Frostbite looked away. She slumped to the ground. Tears came to her.

When she was finished, a glint shone in her eyes- it was a glint of fury and revenge.

Frostbite snarled, "I enchant Tern to appear before me."