Chapter 4: Welcome to Jade Mountain

As Coal headed inside, he noticed a large list pinned to the wall across the cave. That must be the winglet list. He darted over and searched for his name. Cobra, Changbai, Coal, oh there I am. He was in the Silver Winglet. The whole Silver Winglet list read:

IceWing: Blizzard

NightWing: Comet

RainWing: Leaf

MudWing: Amber

SandWing: Scorch

SkyWing: Coal

SeaWing: Typhoon

He took a glance over at a scroll cabinet that read: Grab scroll accordingly by winglet. He took the one that said "Silver Winglet." It had instructions on how to get to your cave and the schedule. Tomorrow would be History, Art, and a class in the morning for getting to know your winglet. Alright, so how do I get to my cave? Coal wondered. There it was! Second tunnel, take the right turn, your cave is labeled. Coal saw three tunnels, so he took the one in the middle. Soon, the chatter of then entrance hall faded. Up ahead was a fork in the road and he took the right turn. So my cave will be labeled, apparently. The first cave was on the right and read "Scorch and Blizzard, Silver Winglet." The next one was on the left, a ways after Scorch and Blizzard's cave, and read "Amber and Typhoon." MudWing and SeaWing, Coal guessed. The final cave was at the end of the hallway, not far after the second cave, and read "Coal, Leaf, and Comet." That's mine! Coal thought eagerly. He darted inside and saw he was the first one in there. First one in my whole winglet, Coal remembered, recalling nobody had been in the previous caves, either. It was very clean and had three beds. One was a boulder and Coal guessed that had been handpicked for the SkyWing in the winglet, which was himself. The other two were mossy beds and Coal decided he should hurry up and claim the boulder. He did not want to sleep on moss. He set his bag down and started unpacking. He took out his drum guide and his set and started drumming softly with his claws. He was halfway through a song when someone cleared their throat from the doorway. It was a young male NightWing. "Um," Coal tried awkwardly. "I'm Coal."

"I'm Comet, and... I like scrolls?" the NightWing replied awkwardly. There was an awkward silence, broken by the sound of someone sprinting up the hallway, yelping excitedly. It was a RainWing. "HELLO, MY NAME IS LEAF!!!," the RainWing shouted at them. "OH MY GOSH I just had an amazing idea. We should make art and hang it on our walls. WOULDN'T THAT BE AMAZING?"

"Oh, hey Leaf," the NightWing said in a friendly tone. He glanced back over at Coal. "Leaf is my best friend. We hang out a lot."

"That's cool," Coal replied. "Oh, I like scrolls too," he added to Comet.

"THAT'S AWESOME! YOU TWO LIKE THE SAME THING!!!" Leaf replied loudly. His scales were now bright pink, which Coal thought was happiness. The three dragonets gathered around in a circle and chatted a bit about what they liked.

......

"Wait, you play the drums," Comet asked after Coal told everyone about his drum set.

"Yeah," Coal responded.

"I had a friend who had a song for the drums but no set. Let me see if I can remember it," Comet closed his eyes. "I think so," he said after a minute. He scribbled it down on a stray piece of paper.

"Can you play it for us?" Leaf asked.

"I'll try," Coal replied, taking the paper out of Comet's talons. He started to drum lightly, then louder, until the end of the song when he made it softer.

"Wow!" Leaf said when he was done. "That was really good!" His scales were now violet, which Coal believed was awed.

"Where did you learn to play like that?" Comet asked.

Coal thought for a minute. "I kinda taught myself, but I did bring a guide and that helped a lot, too." Comet and Leaf nodded.

"Is it dinner yet?" Leaf wondered aloud. Comet listened for a minute. "I think so."

--------

How do you guys like Comet and Leaf? PS: The next chapters will be about this long. So if you like long chapters, do a celebratory dance!