A Promise to the Dead part 2

Stiles and Malia pulled up to the front of the school after their "get together". It went a little longer than they thought and Stiles ended up almost getting pulled over as he sped to try and make up the difference. Stiles got to the lacrosse field though froze when his stomach started grumbling.

A team member was unwrapping a rice krispie treat and was about to take a bite when it was snatched out of his hand. "Hey!" he cried out at Stiles.

Stiles held the treat at him. "You shouldn't be eating these things anyway," he said right before he went to take a bite of it himself. He was hungry and this would have to sate him until lunch.

A yawn made its way out of him as he set his bag to the side and moved to get a feel for his net, giving a few practice swings. He then shoved the rest of the treat into his mouth, so he didn't notice someone moving for him.

"Hey, Stiles?"

Stiles snorted roughly and looked over to see that Liam's buddy Mason was standing next to him.

"Mason?" he asked with a mouth full of the snack treat before swallowing and wiping at his mouth. "What's up? Looking for Liam?"

"Actually, I was hoping I could talk to you."

"Me? About what?"

"About everything. What's been going on for like the last month. I mean, Liam spending so much time with you, Scott and the rest of your junior friends. Then, how Liam just vanished while we were running but turns up missing and he suddenly shows up and can't tell me where he went or what happened. And, all that craziness at the bonfire, when your dad comes and tells me to get rid of a soundboard while he goes after Liam and your friends who were taken away by security guards and an hour later, he has them all arrested and Liam and your friends are all gone. I know Liam is involved but I can't figure out what it is and he won't talk to me."

Stiles sighed. Mason was smart and intuitive, way too smart and intuitive. But, Stiles could feel how anxious and worried he was. "Why come to me?"

Mason shook his head. "Last time I came to you, Liam was missing but he turned up okay a few hours later. I know that you know what it is and it's obviously something serious if your father is involved. I guess that if I come to you again, then somehow, I can find out what's wrong with my best friend and if he's in trouble, actually help him."

Stiles looked around them and found that there were some people close enough to them that might be able to overhear. "Let's go over here." He went and took Mason to a less crowded part of the field. "Mason...okay, first of all, you're right. I do know what's been up with him lately, but it's not for me to say. What I can tell you, is that the worst of it is mostly over. The parts where my dad has to be involved is at least."

"So, he's not in trouble?"

"No, at least, not in the way you might've been thinking."

"So wait, then he's still in some kind of trouble?"

"More like, having trouble. But don't worry, we've been working on it and he's actually getting a better handle on it than he thinks he is."

"On what?"

Stiles shook his head. "I'm sorry Mason, I can't tell you that."

"Why not?"

"Because it's not mine to tell," he told him sternly. "Look Mason, this is something that he probably doesn't want to burden you with. You're his best friend."

Mason let out a deep heated breath. "And he's my best friend," he said simply. "When I came out, I let myself get pushed around because I was too afraid to stand up for myself. He stood up for me, helped me to not let anyone make me hate myself. So, if he's in trouble, then he's probably being half-assed in trying to get out of it. He's going to need me to fill in the blanks for him."