Chapter 3

Dedicated to SaleemahMashgari12

¥~pops diners~¥

Rachel's POV.

"So this is the new library. T'was built a few years back by the current mayor. It also has an e-library and unlimited internet access for the whole town." My dad says with his hand outside the window pointing to a huge bungalow building across from where we're parked.

"Looks cool to me. I could use some reading and writing time occasionally." I reply and he hums and starts the car driving to our next tour point.

This has been our routine for the past one week. I've been in town for about two weeks now and I have to admit I like it here. I rested for the first two days and unpacked my luggage. Then the day after I started my grand tour round the town to see both old and new places with my dad being the tour guide of course.

I've been having fun. He took me to his work on the first day. I got to meet his coworkers and they were really nice and welcoming towards me. Then we went to the fire station, then to the supermarket( mind you its the only store in the town).

Next we visited the church, the game centre, the gym, the lounge and I heard they're all owned by the richest brothers in town excluding the church. I guess they're the Callaway's or Callaghan's. We also went to the lovers ground by the lake which was cute. It has like a small gate where you could put your love locks and then throw the key into the lake sealing your love forever. Its been a great tour.

After a few more stops and meet and greet, the organisms in our stomach begin a tour of their own and our stomach starts rumbling making a lot of noise.

"I'm hungry..." "I think we should stop for lunch." My dad and I both say together. We look at each other and then burst into laughter.

"Well I could eat. I'm really hungry." My dad says and I reply a "yeah me too." I unlock my phone and reply a few messages from my best friend Paisley. I really miss her. She was devastated when I told her I had to move back to shadow creek. She even offered to move with me as both her parents are deceased but I couldn't let her do that. She had plans. We both did but I had to move for my dad. She wants to become a worldwide artists hosting lots of exhibitions but she wouldn't achieve all that at shadow creek. After lots of tears and heated arguments she finally agreed to stay back but made me promise to text and call each other everyday.

"We're here Rach." My dad tells me shutting of the ignition.

"Where is here?" I ask as I unbuckle my seat belt and pick up my clutch bag.

"Here is where you get the best chicken, spaghetti, sauces, soups, breads, fries and all foods in the whole world. Here is the one and only pops diner; home of the most amazing dishes. God I'm salivating just talking about it. Lets go in." My dad says and I chuckle as we make our ways across the parking lot to the entrance of the diner. Forever the foodie.

The door rings as we push it open making a round average height man with a round protruding belly and grey hair and beards look up from where he is wiping a table and his face lights up like a 360 watt bulb.

"Hey pops." My dad greets as we sit in the first booth with the same wide excited smile on his face as pops.

"Hey sheriff. How ya doin'? I ain't seen ya face 'round here in a while. Work beatin' you down?" He asks my dad as he walks over to our table and hands us two menus before patting my dad on the back.

"Yeah. Work has been stressful lately. Crime rate went up in baton rouge so I had to offer my support to their police team over there." My dad replies and I just zone them out as I scan the menu for what to order. All the dishes on the menu looks good to me but The spaghetti and sauce with chicken strips looks best. I guess that's what I'm getting with a sprite.

"Pops meet my daughter Rachel. Rach this is pops. He owns the diner." My dad says handling the introductions.

"Hi pops. Nice to meet ya." I says with a bright smile on my face trying to match the mega watt one in his. I swear this old man smiles a lot with all the smile lines on his face.

"Nice too meet ya too lady. The last time I saw you, you were just a lass but look at ya all grown up looking as beautiful as your mother. Bless her soul. Feel free to come here any time. You're always welcome. " He says.

"Thanks pops." I say to him with a soft smile.

"So what are the both of ya getting? And don't worry its on the house." My dad groans and refuses his offer saying he can pay for both our food and pop rejects his offer to pay insisting its a welcome meal for me and they go back and forth bickering like children. I let out an amused chuckle making them both stop and smile with blood in their white faces.

Pop takes our orders and goes to get our food and drinks. My dad had no choice but to accept pops offer in the end with the resolve to leave a huge tip in the tip jar on our way out but then pops was smarter and took the tip jar off the counter. One for pops; zero for my dad.

My dad and I are currently in the living room with him watching his favorite night time show and me reading my novel.

"Rach, I've been meaning to ask you something." My dad starts and the tone of the conversations isn't the usual chatty kind. I put a book card in the page I'm at and close the book giving him my full attention.

"Whats up dad?" I ask.

"I was wondering what you want to do now concerning work and the future. I know you wanted to work in an editorial firm in the city and I'm sorry you had to leave all that to move here for me. There are not a lot of opportunities here in shadow creek but I want you to know that I'm gonna support whatever decision you make." My dad says to me and I smile and squeeze his hand offering emotional support. I know he feels guilty about me sacrificing my dreams to move back here but I don't blame him for it. It was my choice and I want him to know that.

"Dad you know I love you and I don't blame you for anything. I made a choice to move here and be there for you. It was my choice and I don't regret taking that huge step. And you'd make me regret it by feeling guilty, so please don't blame yourself." I start.

"...And concerning work I really don't know but I saw this bar in town on our way to the library. I was thinking I could check it out and if there is a spot for a barmaid I could take it. And before you say anything I think it would be good because I get to have a lot of free time that I could dedicate to writing my books." I say to him hoping he agrees without a fight because I know a barmaid isn't the best job for me right now but i'm willing to try.

"Okay honey. If that's your wish then I accept. I know the owner of the bar. I could speak to him if you like." He says and I let out a sigh of relief.

"That would be great dad. Thank you." I reply him and he gets up to retire for the night planting a chaste kiss on my forehead before heading to his room.

I turn on the alarm system and turn off all the lights in the main wing of the house before heading up to my room for the night.