2nd Generation Groups

The 2nd Generation Idols are dropping like flies and the Industry is flipping it's shit

The "7-year jinx" has always been something of a joke in the entertainment biz. Groups aren't actually supposed to quit after that time period, and instead the idea was always that groups would slowly split off into individual activities but use their popularity to continue with CFs or acting or what have you to keep things like ad money and viewer ratings high.

The fact that in the past few years several groups have disbanded with few or none of them continuing after the fact has sent the industry into a bit of a panic. Instead of continuing promising solo careers, many groups like Kara, 2ne1, and 4minute have simply vanished into the aether instead of picking up where their seniors are supposed to be leaving off. This is why so many young and relatively rookie idols are being pushed into acting and MC roles even though, logically, there should be a ton of 2nd Gen idols ready to pick up the slack. In a perfect world, idols like Somi and Sejeong would have more time to practice singing and acting before they were thrust into the spotlight, but despite the huge numbers of idols nowadays, companies just can't seem to find many that stick. Furthermore, outside of breakout stars like Bolbbalgan4, the K-indie scene is also dying a slow death, and no one seems to be able to figure out how to pick up the pieces its leaving behind.