seven

I hope you all enjoy :) thank you all for the votes and reads! It means a lot!

****

"I just love you. No other words can describe it but that." She gazed at him, wondering how someone like him could love her. She laughed, the melodic tone ringing through his ears.

"I just love you too."

"So what do you say? Let's bring this back to my place?" Pushing a strand of hair back behind her ear, she bit her lip, nodding at the boy. It was about time he asked that, she had been waiting for months. He softly took her hand, and led her from the bar. He was excited, waiting for so long for this.

******

"Noah!"

"Anyone in there?"

"Helloooo?" Noah's eyes darted open, seeing her blue eyes staring at him in curiosity.

"Yeah sorry just wanted to take a little nap. It's been rough already."

"But it's only nine o' clock. You silly silly man." He raised an eyebrow at her.

"Well I tire easily. So do you remember that manuscript you read the other day?" Emberly nodded, hoping to hear good news.

"I've decided to publish him. So get ready to be at a meeting with us."

"Always am."

"Good."

"You sleep a lot you know that?" What he couldn't tell her was that he wasn't really sleeping at all. It was some sort of a memory string from someone he just didn't know who. If he told, he would get titled a crazy man and didn't want that.

"Yeah, I do. A busy man needs his sleep." Emberly agreed, placing a few papers on his desk before leaving to go to her office. It wasn't much of a walk, but on the way Emberly found herself thinking of Noah and how she often found him asleep at random times. She was also jealous that he could fall asleep anywhere. If only she could do that. It takes fluffy pillows and soft sheets for her. When she opened her door, she wasn't prepared for the ballon mess that awaited her. The balloons read "Happy Birthday!" And she internally groaned. How could she forget her own birthday? Twenty-three wasn't that big of a number.

"Surprise!" She heard from behind her. She turned around to see Noah smirking at her. The butterflies bubbled up in her stomach, turning to face him.

"Thank you! How did you know it was my birthday?"

"Employee file maybe?" He laughed, strutting across the room to her desk. He handed her a tiny box.

"Here open it."

"I was just going to stare at it all day but I guess I could do that too."

"Smartass." Emberly laughed, taking the ribbon from the box. She slowly opened the lid to reveal a necklace. It was a cute rose, with a cross intertwined with it. She had never seen something so beautiful.

"Oh wow, thank you so much. I really wasn't expecting this. I like it!" Noah smiled at her satisfaction.

"Glad you do. May I put it on?" Emberly turned around and handed him the necklace, she felt the cool metal hit her skin and shivered. Noah swiftly moved her hair out of the way, making sure to softly brush her neck as he did so. Her breathing ragged as he clasped the necklace around her neck. He was so intimidated being this close to her. All he wanted to do was run his fingers through her curly red hair.

"It looks so good on you." He complimented, staring her in the eyes. They seemed so familiar but yet he just couldn't place them. Emberly smiled at him, this overwhelming feeling to kiss him bubbling up inside of her.  She began to lean in closer and so did Noah. But he knew she wasn't ready yet. In a swift moment, Noah lowered his head to her neck, leaving soft kisses along her jawline. Her breath hitched at the contact, making her insides go haywire.

"You're not ready yet." Just then a knock came at the door, making them jump apart.

"Come in!" Emberly yelled, taking a seat at her desk.

"Hey honey! Happy birthday!"

"Thank you mom." Emberly got up from her seat and went to hug her mother.

"So who did all of this?" She pointed over to Noah, who had a huge smile on his face. Very unusual for him.

"Mr.Axe—"

"I'm Noah! How are you?" He got up to shake her mothers hand, noticing Emberly got all of her looks from her mother.

"I'm good. You must really like my daughter to do this for her."

"She's very likeable!"

"I told you honey!" Emberly could feel her face heat up, and after the moment they just had, she finally believed her mother.

"Oh! And I brought your favorite, German chocolate cake!"

"Thank you! I will be sure to dig into that later."

"Why not now?" Emberly snapped her head to Noah.

"I guess you're right, I can always go for some chocolate." Noah smiled at her and looked in the cabinets behind him.

"Do you not have any forks in here?"

"No, I've only had this office for a few weeks, why would I keep forks?" Noah scoffed,

"Who doesn't?"

"Me apparently."

"Well I'll be right back, I've got plenty in my office."
Noah left in a hurry, eager to eat some cake.

"Did he give you that necklace too?" Emebrly smiled.

"Yes, isn't it lovely?" She wrapped her arms around her mother for the second time, reeling in her presence.

"Thank you for coming, I honestly forgot it was my birthday."

"Oh, I've done that before. I can tell that Noah likes you a lot. Something tells me he doesn't do things like this often. I think you should keep him."

"But mom he's my boss."

"And? Who said that was a problem?"

"You're right. I guess we will just have to see where it goes." Just then Noah barged in with the forks.

"Got em! Now let's bust this baby open!" Emberly laughed at him, noticing the happy expression on his face.

'Boy, cake must really make him happy' she thought. But perhaps it could also be something else. Noah hasn't felt this happy in a while and he could owe all of the thanks to one red-headed woman who was devouring her birthday cake.

*****

What did you guys think? Let me know in the comments! I love you all.

-Katie