twelve

The last few days had been torture

The last few days had been torture. I had worked well over fifty hours this entire week, with no overtime charge. It's not like I'm strapped for cash, I'm well off. I just know that the work and effort I put into my job is a lot of energy. I haven't been able to get more than four hours of sleep each night. I haven't even been able to properly sit down and eat a decent home-cooked meal. It was frozen family meals microwaved in the work break room, day in and day out.

I was tired of it. I had spent far too long cooped in a bland office with people I didn't like. I needed a break, so I had called Sofia over. I was in dire need of girl time. Silas hadn't been around yet. He would send me a text here and there, but I hadn't physically seen him in a week and a half, I was craving him. A woman shouldn't crave a man.

It wasn't just the fact that I wanted him to touch me anymore. It was more of his presence. I didn't like it one bit. I was getting attached to him, to the idea of having him around. It was dangerous. There was no way I could survive another heartbreak, no way at all.

"Sup bitch." Sofia waltzed into my room, breaking my train of thought. Her usual slinky attire is nowhere to be found. Instead, she wore waist-high jeans with a simple black tank tucked into her waistband.

"Woah, a sudden change in wardrobe?" I inquired, my thin brow perking upwards. She stifled a giggle as she did a twirl, her long hair trailing behind her. I only saw her a few days ago, when Nic came for a sleep over. She was dressed for the weather, so I didn't notice. But today you could see how different she had become in my absence.

"Well, I have a bit going on in my life that requires a wardrobe change." She flashed a bright smile at me with a little nod. I eyed her hard for a moment.

"Don't tell me you're pregnant." My eyes widened as I eyed her belly. My hands instinctively reached out to feel for any abnormalities. I felt her laugh as she gripped my hand, pulling it away from her stomach.

"No, silly," she giggled. "As you know, I'm dating Nic. I just want to dress like I'm supposed to. Besides, all my slutty outfits are reserved for the bedroom." She explained. She winked at me, while the corners of her lips rose to a smile.

I audibly gasped as I pulled my hand to my chest.

"No fucking way. You're going for it with him? Full send, no holding back?" I replied. Squealing, I began to jump in excitement. My best friend had finally found someone worth her time. When I say Sofia Russo dates nobody, I mean, she dates nobody. The one guy she ever gave the time of day crushed her, so how can you blame her?

"Duh! We basically live together, it's crazy. He's like my best friend-"

"Excuse me?"

"I mean my other best friend." She pushed my shoulder playfully.

"I'm shocked, this is great. Please fill me in on all things Sofia and Nicolas. Solas? Soficolas? Nifia? I don't even know. Just tell me." I pulled her closer into my room. Pushing our bodies onto the couch, where I had set up our wine and food stations with the Roku remote handy."I mean, there's so much to tell. He's great, honestly." She tucked her hair behind her ear as she settled comfortably on the couch. Her shoes casually slid off her feet as she let her hands guide her to pouring herself a glass of wine.

I followed suit, grabbed the bowl of Chex mix and placed it between us. Instinctively, I grabbed the Roku remote and tossed it to her for her to choose a film for us to watch. I watched as she flicked through apps. She landed on Hulu and chose an original film, before looking back at me.

"So, where should I start?" She grinned at me, her skin glowing of happiness and love."The beginning." I smiled as she grinned.

"Well, you know the beginning, so after that night we basically talked nonstop. Drunk Sofia gave her his number like a fool, and he wouldn't stop texting. He was definitely a persistent little fuck. But it was cute? Like, it wasn't too much. But just enough? I don't know. Anyways, he offered to take me out on a proper date. Fancy restaurant, a nice walk with beautiful scenery, some ice cream if I'd like. He pitched me some romantic comedy bullshit, and Farrah, my dumb ass loved every bit of it. So, I agreed and the man kept true to his word. After that, I decided to keep him around." Sofia talked in awe about the man I had only met a handful of times.

He sounded like the perfect match for her. And while part of me felt a pang of jealousy, I was happy for her. She was finally free and happy, learning to fall in love again. She lived her best life right before me, and I couldn't wait to watch her grow.

"Okay, wait," I hiccuped before continuing to giggle. "You grabbed him by the balls?" I let out a full-on cackle as I leaned back into the cushions of the couch."Well, yeah. If he's not gonna tell me what I need to know, I gotta do it." She laughed with me, her head tilting back.

"What was so important?" I leaned forward as I took a swig of my wine. We had at least four glasses, and they were over half full. So, it's safe to say we were drunk. But I could've sworn I watched her eyes change into a darker shade as she leaned forward. Her whole demeanor changed. She wasn't laughing, instead, she scowled

"Sof?" I whispered, completely taken aback by her behavior.

"Look, I don't want to talk about this right now. Can we put a pin in it?" She mimicked the movement with her hands, and I knew to keep my mouth shut. Since we became best friends, we had this rule. If we weren't ready to talk about it, we asked if we could talk about it later. We weren't allowed to bring up said topic until the person was ready.

It's a rule within our friendship. It allows us to trust and respect each other as people, and not push for particular discussions. We could say, "put a pin in it" and it'll be locked away until it's ready to be open again.

"Okay, well, when you're ready. I'm here, always." I replied. I smiled at her as I took a sip of wine. She returned it solemnly, a look of hurt flashing through her eyes as she looked away. Like she was tearing herself apart in two inside her mind, I wanted nothing more than to press her. She was visibly upset, she hadn't even been able to look me in the eye the entire night.

"I love you, Fah. You're my best friend, you are. I want you to find happiness like I have. You deserve it more than anyone. After Ja-"

"We aren't supposed to talk about him." I cut her off, my heart clenched at the mention of his name. She stopped talking for a moment, her eyes watching every movement. Her shoulders sagged with a sigh. I knew she didn't have any intentions, I just felt tender today.

"I saw him the other day. It brought back so much pain." I whimpered. I felt weak. Crying over the man I had cried for so many times before. He had given me nothing but painful memories. I wished nothing more than to erase from my psyche. He was a curse from the devil. And I slept with him anyways.

"Look, no more Jake. Done. No more guy talk - just us." Sofia said. She grabbed onto my arms to stop me from crying, to soothe me. But there was no coming back. There were tears welled up in my eyes, pooling out before I could stop them.

"It still hurts." I cried out. My arms fell into her lap as I sobbed. For the first time in weeks, I let the tears fall without a care in the world.

~

re-edited: December 12

*** this chapter was originally chapter 14. I took out two other chapters that were in other perspectives. those will be nous chapters if wanted! ***