thirteen

BRINNNNGGGGGG

BRINNNNGGGGGG.

BRIIIIINNNGGGGG.

BRINNNGGGGGGG.

I groaned as I blindly reached out to my dangerously loud phone. "Jesus, answer that already." Sofia groaned next to me as she swatted me away. Neither of us were morning people, especially after copious amounts of alcohol. It was never a good call to wake us up, even if it's an emergency. We could sleep through the end of the world if we want to. 

"Hello, thanks for waking me up, you dicksicle." I groaned into the phone, not bothering to check the caller ID. Whoever decided it was okay to call at this time of day wasn't even human. I hadn't bothered to check the clock, but I didn't need to. I knew it was the ass crack of dawn. 

"Well, you're welcome considering it's half past noon." The masculine voice answered on the other side of the line. I felt my shoulders perk at the sound of his voice. My eyes shooting open, waking up from their sleep. 

"Silas?" I spoke into the phone. My elbow propped up my body on the mattress. Sof dramatically tossed to her side as she pulled the covers to cover the top of her head. I knitted my brows for a moment, before tossing the covers off and slipping off of the bed. 

"Who else?" He mused.

"I was actually hoping no one would wake me up, but here we are. Despite the fact you haven't even spoken to me for the last, I don't know, week and a half?" I asked. Pushing myself up off the bed, I heard her groan. I rolled my eyes before blindly making my way to my kitchen, my sleepy eyes crying for a nice cup of coffee. 

"Yeah, listen." He stopped talking for a moment. The sounds of cars honking and abundant curse words filled the silence. My brows knitted together. 

"What the he--."

"Anyways, let me make it up to you. I have to drive across state lines overnight to drop these important files off. I get this free stay at this nice hotel. I didn't want to go alone, so I thought, hm, who would I love to go with me on a nine-hour drive?" His words hung in the air. My heart raced in my chest. Was he inviting me on a road trip? Rubbing it in my face?

"So, what are you getting at, Silas?" I inquired. My hands blindly pour the coffee grounds into the filter of the coffee machine. I hadn't gone on a road trip since my post-graduation trip to Colorado, of course, it was with friends. It wasn't like I was ever alone with anyone. Especially someone I found insanely irresistible. Then there was Sofia and Nic, who went on a mini-road trip a few days ago. 

 "Come with me." His words were firm; there was no ounce of hesitation. He wanted me with him, he thought of me. My heart was banging against my chest as I focused on the sound of the coffee dripping into the pot. What do I say? Do I go? Is this like a relationship starter? I don't have a fucking clue. I don't know what this road trip fully entails. How long the stay will be, what hotel, what city, or even what state. Plus, a nine-hour car ride there means the same way back. What if something happens and the drive back is awkward?

"Hello?" Silas said into the phone. 

"Oh shit, um," I bit my lower lip, my hand rustling through my hair for a few moments. "Fuck it, sure. When do we leave?" I sighed audibly. My hands already shaking at the thought of being in close quarters with him. Possibly even sharing the same bed during the night. 

"In an hour." He stated. His voice raised an octave, his attempt to make it sound somewhat doable. 

"Jesus, couldn't have called sooner? Whatever, tell me what to pack." I groaned as I slapped my hand on my forehead for getting myself into this spontaneous shit. 

"Wear comfy clothes, pack a nice dress, pajamas - unless you sleep naked, which is cool - and two full outfits. It's a day trip, maybe two depending on everything we do and how we are feeling about it." He explained. I heard the smile in his voice as he spoke. It did nothing but create a bigger mess in my mind. Why would he come swooping in at the last moment? I had been holding out for anything, and here he was. Offering himself up on a silver platter. 

"Alright, sounds good. I should definitely go now, I need to get ready." I said my good bye's. Hanging up the phone, I let out a sigh. I grabbed the fresh pot of coffee and poured into my special morning mug. Filling it to the brim, I would definitely need it. 

~

"Okay, so you're just going on a road trip with him? Like, do you even know him that well, Fah?" Sofia quizzed. She had been berating me the second I woke her up and filled her in on the news. She had still been helpful, helping me pack and making sure I get my necessities. But she was interested in everything. Where we were going, why I wanted to go. How he hadn't even reached out to me until today. 

"Excuse me? Can you say much? I mean, you're in a relationship with his best friend, who you met at the same exact time as I met Silas. In fact, you met because I met Silas." I retorted. I felt offended by her comment. How could she act as if I were a child who met some creep on the internet? 

"I'm just trying to look out for you, Fah. This sounds intimate, I don't think your heart can handle this." She argued back, her eyes were staring me down. Pleading for me to see her point - pleading for something. I wanted to listen. Part of me understood where she was coming from. The other part of me was desperate for a get away. One with a hot stranger is fantastic luck. 

"My heart? What are you talking about, Sof? Do you think this will end horribly or something? Do you know something I don't? If so, please, tell me. Because while my heart can handle a heartbreak from some guy I met at a bar, I can't handle one from you." I questioned. I watched as her shoulders sunk into her chest defeated. My brows knitted together. 

"I'm sorry I was overstepping. I just don't want you to get hurt, that's all." She answered quick. She looked at me, the corners of her lips dropping into a frown.

"Thank you for worrying about me, but let me handle my own mess. I'll be okay." I smiled softly at her, before tossing the last article of clothing into my bag and closing it shut. 

"I think that's it, honestly." I sighed, before tossing the remainder of my coffee into my mouth. 

"Yep, all your compact shower soaps, toothbrush and toothpaste. Your make-up bag and your curling wand are all packed in this blue bag here. I even tossed in a few condoms for good measure." She finished. She flashed a small smile, before leaning the bag against the fabric of my other one. 

Tap. Tap

I sighed audibly as I eyed Sofia.

"It's time." I mused before making my way to the door to let the adventures begin. 

~

re edited: December 12

** used to be chapter 15 **