seventeen

I eyed her sleeping form for hours

I eyed her sleeping form for hours. I had nothing else to do; there wasn't anything else I would rather do. I didn't mind playing with her hair as I watched her chest rise and fall. I didn't mind her small snores or her constant wiggling to get cozy. I simply wanted to be next to her.

I know it was stupid, pathetic even. Inviting her on this road trip, knowing full well what would happen. There wasn't anything I could do to stop it, I wanted it. I desired everything that erupted between us more than anything I've ever wanted. Feeling her in my arms, watching her smile and hearing her laugh. Talking to her like she was mine, touching her like she was mine - acting as if she was mine. Every ounce of me needed her, like flowers requiring the sunlight to bloom.

I was digging my grave every second I spent with her, but I did it with a smile plastered on my face. Farrah was different. She wasn't some woman who just had the drive to find a man and get married. She didn't just want a title of being a trophy wife with a rich husband. She didn't want anything, didn't expect anything. She was the kind of girl you could throw anything at, and she'd go along with her every step of the way.

She was perfect, beautiful. She was a ruby in a sea of diamonds; a real catch. She had the legs, the eyes, the smolders. She had the wisdom, the humor, the confidence. She was everything I could've possibly wanted and needed. Someone I actually saw a future with, someone to carry my children someday, possibly? Never.

Because despite the fact that I wanted her more than life itself, I couldn't have her, not like I wanted. She was a blessing and curse to my existence; something made for me that I could never have. It hurt my heart to ever think of telling her the truth. I couldn't bear hearing her cry over me and what I had done to her, done with her.

I felt her wiggle beneath me and adjusted my arms to wrap around her. I sighed into her neck, feeling a tear prick the corner of my left eye. I wasn't ready to let go, and I barely had her. Nic had warned me, he told me no good would come of this. He knew she was my perfect match, he wanted me to be with her as much as I did. But we both knew that with my circumstances, there was no way in hell it'd ever happen.

But I tricked myself, I tricked her, into thinking it was possible.

Bzzzzz. Bzzzzz. Bzzzz.

I heard my phone vibrate on the stand next to the bed. Glancing over, I sighed and slowly made my way off the bed. I snagged my phone before I made my way to the bathroom, shutting myself in.

"Hello?" I answered with a mumble.

"Si, where are you? I miss you, come home." K's voice filled the other line. She was drunk, her slurring nickname told me all I needed to know. I sighed as I leaned against the wall of the bathroom.

"K, you're drunk." I mused, eyeing myself in the mirror - completely disgusted with myself. I had a naked woman sleeping in my bed, just on the other side of the wall. While the woman I'm engaged to is drunk calling me.