may nothing but death do us part

When it came time to pack for tour, there were two moods that hung in the air. The first was one of excitement, the element of doing some amazing and going to travel the country. The second was one of fear and anxiety. Pete felt that in regards to Patrick's health and wellbeing, whereas Patrick just felt it in regards to Brendon and Joe and Andy. He knew that in the back of his mind he loved his friends, but the way that they were talking about him and treating him now felt weird.

He just hoped that he wouldn't be alone with them a whole lot and Pete could protect him. Pete was good at that.

"Nearly done?" Pete asked, leaning on Patrick's doorframe, the day before they were set to leave on tour. "Do you need to put another load of washing on?"

"Everything's clean, I think I'm good there." Patrick responded, packing another bear into his suitcase. Pete had told him to only bring 3 at maximum, but he had so many, and they'd all be so lonely if he only brought 3. Plus how was he meant to pick favourites? So they all had to come, obviously.

"We're gonna need another bus just to carry all your bears, 'Trick." Pete laughed.

"They all have to come." Patrick told him defensively. "All of them."

"You have like 10, dude. You don't need 10 on tour with you."

"All of them." He repeated sternly.

"Alright, but if they get lost or left behind, it's not my fault." Pete told him. "I'm gonna make lunch, what do you feel like?"

"I'm not all that hungry." Patrick responded, sitting down on the edge of the bed, before sighing. "Pete, I don't want to tour."

"Hmm? What's going on buddy?" Pete quickly moved over and sat beside him.

"I, I'm just a bit worried, what if I blank out on stage or something?" He sounded very nervous, and Pete grabbed his hand for comfort. "I mean... what if the people get mad at me because I'm not singing like I used to? A-And what if they like Brendon more?"

"What do you mean by that?"

"Like... Brendon is younger, a-and he has a prettier face... and Andy and Joe like him more a-and what if everyone just likes him s-so much that they don't want me to be a part of the band anymore? I remember, I've started remembering writing songs and stuff... and I dunno... it's l-like I've been pushed to the back and they're o-only dragging me on tour because you want me to come."

"Oh, Patrick..." Pete took a deep breath. "Everyone wants you to come on tour, not just him. You're a part of the band, we wouldn't tour without you."

He paused a moment, thinking about Andy's serious proposal to tour without Patrick, but pushed the thought from his mind and continued his uplifting speech.

"You're probably the most important member of our band. We wouldn't be able to do what we do without you, 'Trick. And I'll have you know, I think you're much prettier than Brendon."

Patrick's cheeks flushed pink and Pete giggled. "We'll be fine, 'Trick. We're just gonna play some music and stay in some hotels, and hopefully everything will go fine."

"You won't leave me alone with the other guys, right?" Patrick asked, glancing at their hands, which were still together. "I don't... I don't like being alone with them."

"I'll try not to?" Pete tried. "I mean, there might be some times, but if you ever feel uncomfortable or whatever, just come and see me and I'll sort it out. Besides, we have a lot of days off on this tour, so we'll probably not see them around a whole heap."

"Alright...." He mumbled. "Can you help me finish packing?"

"Course, buddy."

----------

Moving into the bus was an exciting and nervous time, just like packing, but this time it felt real. All of the instrument cases were being packed under the bus, all of the bags were being packed away, and Brendon had introduced his boyfriend, Ryan, who would be their security guard and coming with them.

It did surprise Pete that this was who the label had hired, considering the guy was remarkably small and meek, but he didn't argue. He seemed nice enough, and surprisingly had really hit it off with Patrick within 5 minutes of meeting him.

Anyone who treated Patrick with respect got a gold star in Pete's book.

They set up in their bunks, with Pete's being on the top right, Patrick in the middle right and Andy on the bottom. Opposite was Brendon in the top bunk, Joe in the middle, and Ryan on the bottom. Most had put up a couple of pictures, and Patrick had lined the back of his bunk with his collection of bears. Nobody said anything about it, at least not while Pete was there.

"Hey guys! There's a playstation!" Brendon whooped from the back of the bus, sitting down on the couch and grabbing a controller. "Sweet!"

"I... I don't think this is very comfortable." Patrick mumbled, lying in his bunk. Lying with his cast on, it hardly fit and with his ankle resting on the mattress, his toes brushed the bottom of the bunk above him.

"The couch is long enough to be a bed." Ryan suggested. "At night, at least, that might be a better option."

"Okay... cool." Patrick nodded, trying to shimmy out from where he was currently lying. "How long is this tour gonna go?"

"Four months."

"Oh."

"We'll stay in a lot of hotels, don't stress 'Trick." Pete assured. "Do you want some candy or something? I have heaps."

"Yeah, okay..."

With the bunks being in the middle of the bus, it became clear that there were going to be two groups of people and two zones where the two groups would sit. Andy, Joe and Brendon sat up the back in the lounge, playing playstation and watching TV, whereas Patrick, Pete and Ryan had taken the dining table at the front of the bus, where they had the best access to the fridge and the second TV.

It was easier that way. Brendon didn't have to deal with Patrick, who, although he couldn't verbalize it to the band that was paying him, he found incredibly annoying. Andy and Joe got to sit back and just enjoy the light-hearted excited tour that they wanted in the first place without Pete nagging them to slow down or stop doing certain things for Patrick's sake. Patrick just liked being at the front of the bus because it meant that he didn't have to sit with Brendon, Joe and Andy. He knew that Joe and Andy were his friends, but he didn't like the way that they treated him when Brendon was around. Pete just wanted to stay with his best friend, and Ryan was just happy to sit quietly and make some new friends.

And still sitting at opposite ends of the bus with their groups, the wheels on the Fall Out Boy bus started moving, and tour began.