Hesitance (Merry x Hobbit!Reader)

This is for my good friend, the lovely gillybrandybuck! We haven't done requests back in forth in what feels like absolutely forever!! Feels good to be at it again! :D Hope you like it (might be short??)

—————————————————————

Cold. That was all you felt. 

Not only was the air surrounding your thinly-clothed body chilly, but the feeling that sat like a smithy's anvil in your stomach was as icy as it was heavy. 

What had caused this horrid feeling was a visit to the local healer earlier that day. If someone had walked up to you and simply seen you in your distraught state, they would have reckoned that the information you had been given in that little seeing room was quite devastating. On the contrary, however, it had been the most joyous of news, something to be greatly celebrated. 

You were with child.

But you were not quite in the mood for celebrating, as anyone could plainly see. You were rather very worried. Worried not only about the child, as you always thought that something like pregnancy was a bit risky for both you and the babe, but also about how your husband would react to the news. Starting a family was not something that was widely discussed in your household. You had no idea how Merry would react to something like this. 

Merry awoke to a feeling of cold, much as you were being kept very much awake by it, although the cold he felt was not of the same cause. It was the absence of your warm body that made him lose body heat to such an extent that it had aroused him from his slumber. He lifted up his head and glanced around the room in a daze, and after discovering that you were nowhere in the bedroom he slowly rose and plodded to the hallway. He soon arrived at the first place he figured you would be: the kitchen. 

"Why are you awake at so early an hour, my dearest?" he inquired, his voice wrapped in a husky blanket of sleep. "Got peckish again?" It is a widely known fact that hobbits quite enjoy food, but you had become even hungrier as of late, and more often.

"No, not very hungry this time 'round," you whispered a bit hoarsely.

"My sweet," Merry worried with newfound energy, approaching you and placing a hand on your forehead, "are you all right? Are you ill?"

Shaking your head, you did not move your gaze from your hairy hobbit feet. "Not ill, no. I—I just..." You heaved a long sigh, your heart heavy with sorrow, before turning to face your husband. "I have something to tell you."

Merry's eyebrows lifted a bit but he offered a comforting smile just the same. "You can tell me anything at all, (Y/N)," he reminded you softly. "Just know that."

You nodded slightly, and took a deep breath, letting the cold air in your lungs steel your nerves. "I am...with child," you finished very quietly, your whisper nearly inaudible.

Meriadoc's eyes widened almost comically, and his jaw fell. "You...you mean to say...I mean, you're pr—preg-"

"Pregnant," you finished for your stammering husband. "Yes." You couldn't tell if he was thrilled or appalled, and to be honest, you were terrified to find out which one he was. "Are...are you angry?"

"Angry?!" he shrieked, "Why would I be angry? This is the happiest day of my life!" He wrapped his arms about your waist and spun you around in circles, shouting his exclamations of joy. You laughed at how excited he was as tears of relief and joy escaped your eyes. 

How happy you were that he would love your child.