01

| o n e

| o n e

It was dark, the shadows looming beside her room as she felt her eyelids become heavy with sleep, an ache spread through her legs from exhaustion. She buried her face into her soft pillow, her breaths evening out after a few minutes.

A loud thump from downstairs alarmed her. Her heart thrummed against her chest, her breaths quickening, her face scrunched up in fear of what might lay downstairs. Her palms were profusely sweating and her lips trembled.

He was perhaps back, the man from her nightmares. Her vision blurred, and she sat trembling from both intense fear and cold. Footsteps advancing towards her room echoed across the room, Emily, suddenly overcome with intense fear, cowered and sunk into her bed. Her blankets were the only source of protection from that evil man.

She tried calming her nerves, to stop any noise from being made. To her dismay, she was not very successful. Her heart was erratic, beating with such intensity that she feared that it would burst, maybe then her misery would end.

She did not even get the chance to think about it further, as her blanket was ripped away from her, cold nipped at her feet and fingers. A loud gasp resonated throughout the room. Her hazel eyes stared into two black and beady eyes; her eyes seemed fixated on him as tears rolled down her cheeks.

He was here.

Her eyes immediately flitted to the opened door in the corner. Her brain going over a thousand thoughts in mere seconds. His lips curled into a menacing, wicked smile. A bitter chuckle followed soon after.

"We meet again, little girl."

He was clad in black, ominous clothes which resembled robes. In his hand was a small dagger, the tip pointing and gleaming underneath the moonlight from the window. The front part was engraved with markings and swirls of some kind which made it look even more deadly.

"Please, p-please, d-don't kill me," she sobbed, her hands quivering. For some reason, his grin became wider. "Don't worry; I won't kill you, yet."

It was close to midnight, no one was home, and her fears were only getting stronger. He had visited since she was eight, now she was close to twelve. She never really knew why he visited her, she didn't even know if he was human or not.

His face lacked human empathy; it had something dark about it. Each time he visited, he just reminded her of a day when she would be cursed, for what reason and how she did not know. It was as if he could sense her thoughts,

"Three years and four days are left until then, prepare yourself for the worst."

She didn't know what kind of preparing she had to do; she didn't know what to believe anymore.

With the least amount of courage and strength, she said, "You're not real. My mother said that you don't exis-"

"Well, your stupid mother is lying!" He spoke with a thunderous voice. He moved in closer, drawing his dagger as he pointed it towards her neck.

"You're lucky that the curse protects you otherwise, I would've shown you just how real I am," He stated, his voice dangerously low, as he slid his finger along the edge of the dagger.

He stood up suddenly, the fabric of his robe falling back, as he covered the bottom half of his face with a cloth, and kept his dagger back. With one last look of warning towards Emily, he disappeared into thin air.

Emily sat gaping.

Maybe she was mad after all.

• • •

A u t h o r s N o t e :

Hey everyone! This is the first chapter of my new book! I've decided on writing it as a short story. Tell me what you think about this chapter! Follow me to become an official member of the unicorn squad. Also if you'd like, please vote for this chapter!
I'll talk to you guys later!
Bye!

<chapter has been re-written>