02

| t w o

| t w o

Six Years Later:

Her hands were aching with pain as she kneaded the dough. Her eyes were furiously fixated at a spot beside the white walls of her kitchen. She couldn't believe that her step-mother had left her with all the work and was sleeping soundly.

Emily cursed under her breath as a smell of burnt cookies wafted through the air. Beneath her disappointment, she wore a grin of satisfaction. Good, let him eat burnt cookies and get food poisoning, she thought, a wicked smile taking shape on her face.

She was going to make a really bad dinner and the thought of him never returning, filled her with an indescribable feeling of joy.

* * *

The sun was setting, the clouds hanging low in the sky. It darkened up gradually, declaring the arrival of the oncoming night. Soft breezes wove through the air.

Emily stood before a full-length mirror. Her curly dark brown hair had been braided along one side, whilst the remaining hair was gathered on the other side of her head. She wore a bright, red lipstick for the first time in ages; her Junoesque figure highlighted by a dark green dress that she wore, its fabric cascaded down in waves. She tried to forget about the mass of pink which on the corner of her face, it was a scar, which ignited in her immense fear of her past.

She quickly dismissed the thought and let her lips curl into a beautiful, yet deadly smile.

Today will be fun, she thought. With that, she exited her room, going to the front door to welcome the guests.

She steadied her breath, her hands almost slipping from the doorknob with nervousness. But when she felt her father watching, she straightened her spine, a smile immediately gracing her face as she opened the door quickly without a second thought.

There stood a couple, both dressed elegantly. Mr. and Mrs. Williams beamed at her, their kind eyes enveloping her immediately. Her nerves calmed down considerably. It wasn't until her eyes landed on him that she froze. She sucked in a breath.

Someone cleared a throat behind her.

"Emily, welcome the guests in, have you forgotten all your manners?"

It was the lovely voice of her step-mother. Emily, broken from her momentarily trance, opened the door wider allowing them to enter.

Adam Williams, the sole heir to the Williams legacy, the richest man in town, was practically a celebrity, her neighbor and also, also

her enemy.

He didn't even look in her direction as he gazed forward, a bored look on his face. Donned in a black crisp and sharp suit, he followed his parents to the dining room.

They all sat down, Emily was quick to get a chair but ended up offering it to Mrs. William when she complained that she wanted to sit next to her step-mother. Poor woman, Emily thought, she will regret this for the rest of her life.

Not having any other place other than the one which was directly across the one on which Adam sat, she begrudgingly sat and took a deep breath.

Just a few more hours and they'll be gone.

Well, apparently they didn't. The women gushed about the fine dresses and expensive jewelry that the other was wearing whilst the men discussed politics; everyone was engaged in conversation, everyone except Emily, and Adam, who was glaring daggers at her.

She knitted her eyebrows in confusion, as she crossed her arms in response and glared right back.

She hated him with a deep passion and he seemed to have the same feelings towards her.

He started glaring at her without even blinking, huh, two can play a game, she thought.

She gave him an icy glare and continued, several minutes passed as none broke contact. Emily found her eyes burning and close to blinking.

But she did not want to lose. In an attempt to escape defeat, she kicked her leg at him from beneath the table.

A stifled scream erupted from Mrs. Williams. Emily gasped in horror.

"Mrs. Williams, I'm very sorry for that, I felt a bug sitting on my leg which is why I kicked it away," she lied, through gritted teeth. Mrs. Williams nodded, accepting her apology.

Adam snorted, the noise of silent laughter followed soon after.

Her father looked at her with a serious expression, an expression conveying disappointment. She kept her eyes downcast, the familiar feeling of being un-worthy followed soon after.

Her step-mother, a second later, brought in a tray with more food, an evil glint in her eyes,

"Let's taste the food made by Emily. Adam, why don't you start?"

● ● ●

A u t h o r s N o t e

Hey! Hope you liked the chapter, if you did, please press the star button. Also if you'd like to, give me a follow.

<chapter has been re-written>