03

| t h r e e

| t h r e e

Emily felt as if the world swept away from her.

Initially, she had prepared the food to damage Adam only, but now the prospect of Mr. and Mrs. Williams getting sick from her food, caused her gut to twist.

And the thought of her father watching everything...

How can I be so stupid? She thought, her brain trying to come up with ways to stop him or anyone from eating the food.

"Mom, I need to add some toppings to it, excuse me, I'll be right back."

She said with urgency laced in her tone. Hastily, she stood up and took hold of the tray before anyone even got the chance to snatch a cupcake or two away from her.

The smile wiped off her step-mother who gave her a tight-lipped smirk, almost mocking her to try to escape this problem. Emily gulped, yet she dared not to look at her father, who probably would've been giving her one of his disappointment looks which he had specially reserved for her. A calm and sweet voice rose up,

"Adam, why don't you go and help Emily out?"

It was not a request but a command, realized Emily as she inwardly groaned. Without waiting for him to arrive, she took off, towards the kitchen.

She opened the dustbin and threw all the cupcakes in; her sigh was full of exhaustion. Her shoulders sagged in relief, grateful to be away from prying eyes.

She turned back and immediately screamed, jumping back in surprise.

There stood Adam, leaning against the wall of the kitchen. His face lacked any emotion and he did not apologize.

"What was that all about?" He spoke for the first time since arriving at the dinner. His voice deep and calm, iciness laced to them.

She was aware as to what he was referring to, but she just crossed her arms and lifted an eyebrow. "What do you mean?"

He sighed with frustration, "I'm sorry, was it too complicated for your tiny brain to understand?" He said with a smirk on his face.

She stood unaffected, "You tell me, considering the amount of experience you've had."

He only huffed in response and pivoted on his heel back to where all the adults were. She shook her head and decided to hide for a little while longer in the kitchen.

* * *

Fifteen minutes had elapsed since she last saw him.

As she entered the room, she noticed him brooding in the corner sofa whilst the rest of them sat, chatting happily. Emily was sure that by now they must have forgotten about the cupcakes, and so they did.

Mrs. Williams invited her to sit with them, despite it being her own house.

"My dear, where have you been? We were awaiting your company, come, sit."

She smiled gracefully at her and sat beside her.

Suddenly, she took her by surprise by gently holding her hand and looked into her eyes. Emily's face remained a mask of confusion, though; she tried not to show it.

"My, my, you've gotten even prettier than I last saw you," Emily's face became warm, "I see that you've inherited your mother's elegance and your father's intellect."

Her next words took her by surprise when she took a deep breath and quickly muttered a few words.

"The reason for our sudden arrival here was for the prospect of our son getting married, to you."

Emily's heart raced at the speed of lightning, her mind still in confusion. It wasn't like she hadn't known that this would happen. The long hours of learning manners, getting the best education and even perfecting her talents, all these years, was to prepare her for this.

To make her worthy of their son, to gain a share of the property, it had been her father's doing all along.

Mrs. Williams then quickly added, "You are to marry our son, unless, unless you object."

All eyes turned towards her, including that of her father, who held in his face some sort of smugness, his eyes daring her to disobey him.

She took a deep breath, and spoke in a feeble voice,

"I...er...."

• • •
A u t h o r s N o t e :

Hey! I'm so excited for this story! Also, I'm not sure if this length is enough but it is a short story...lemme know what you think. Did you like the chapter?
Thank you for reading!
Don't forget to vote and follow me!
Ily!
Bye!

<chapter has been re-written>