Don't Change

Vic signs through most if the story unless stated otherwise. Me typing 'signed' so many times is irritating so unless I say Vic asked or says, he's signing. Ok? Ok.

Kellin's//

"Get out, you stupid fuck!" My step dad screamed at me., pushing me out if the house. I picked up my book bag from the porch and started walking.

I spotted Vic sitting under a tree, writing in a note book.

He looked up and smiled at me. I gave him a small smile.

I walked over to him and sat down. "What's up?" I asked.

"Getting my mind off of things." He signed. I nodded, "you okay?"

"Yeah. I'm good." I said. "You don't seem that way."

I sighed, "Vic I'm fine. How are you and your deafness by the way?" I asked. He shrugged, "same as earlier. The doctor wants me to do a procedure to make me hear again."

"That's great. You should do it." I said.

"I don't know. I've been deaf my whole life. Hearing would take away who I am. Deaf pride, dude." He signed. I nodded.

"So, I have an assignment in Photography Class. Would you mind me practicing some pictures with you?" I asked, pulling out my camera.

"I don't particularly like my face on pictures, so can I pass?" He signed. "Want to help me take pictures of others, then?" I asked. He nodded, putting his notebook in his back pack.

I stood up, holding in a groan. "Are you sure you're okay?" I nodded. "I'm fine. You don't have to worry about me." I said.

He rolled his eyes.

+

Vic's//

"Here, you take a picture." He said, handing me the camera.

I took it and looked around. There was nothing I saw that had potential to me. Potential as in, the beauty I saw.

I lost my passion of nature when I lost my hearing. What's the point of enjoying the beauty if nature when you can't hear the birds chirp, the wind whistle, or the leaves rustle? What's the point?

Then I looked at Kellin and smiled. I put the camera to my eye and took at least 50 pictures of him.

He looked at me and smiled. My phone vibrated. I pulled it out of my pocket and looked at my text.

Mom wants you home - mike

To: Mike

Can I bring a guest? - Vic.

Only about two seconds later Mike texted back.

Yeah, you can. Is it Kellin? - Mike

To: Mike

I'll be home in five minutes. And yes - Vic.

Putting away my phone, I sighed. "Do you want to come to dinner at my house?" I asked.

He smiled, "Sure. As long as your parents are okay with it." He said. I nodded as I stood up.

We packed our stuff and walked towards my house.

"Vic?" My mom asked. I motioned Kellin to follow me to the kitchen.

"Yes?" I signed. "Is this your friend?" She asked. I nodded. "Kellin." I spelled out for her. "Kellin, this is my mom."

"Hi. Nice to meet you." He said and signed. "Oh, you know asl?" She asked.

He nodded, "don't you?" He asked. "I don't have much time to learn." She said, I rolled my eyes.