Chapter 3: After Work

"Hey, Don't throw those boxes away. I'm going to need them." Serenity stopped one of the cooks in the back. "Well, never mind I'm sure some new ones will come around."

"What you trying to do?" he responded

"I think i'm moving out of my apartment."

"Yo, don't do that. We had the most lit work party at your apartment. No one living beside you, above you, or below you. It's anyone's dream apartment."

"Yea, you are right I know how to throw a party but safety is a major factor right now."

"Aye, you know we got your back Ren. Square up on a nigga any day! Anybody can get it baby." He responded.

Serenity laughed. Then she called for the manager to tell her that she was done with everything for the night and clocked out. She began to walk home since Francisco seems like he doesn't want to talk about replacing her car.

As she was walking home she stopped and talked to Jules. One of the homeless that lived around the corner to her apartment complex. Jules was a nice man and seemed to look out for her.

He looked to be in his 40s. He had shaggy grey and black hair. A beard and sometimes he smelled and sometimes he didn't. His green eyes told stories if you look into them long enough. He was white and he was kind of built like he worked out on the daily.

"Jules, what was life like before this?"

"It was beautiful. The only regret is that i never confessed my love to the woman that I loved. And was stuck being her husband's best-friend." Jules said and sighed.

"Oh, thats sad Jules. I brought you some food."

"Have you ate today?"

"Don't start."

"I'm not taking it if you haven't eaten."

"I've eaten today and I'll be here tomorrow but life wouldn't be nice if you were here to talk to me. So, take the damn bag of food."

Jules smiled and took the bag with hesitance. She gave him a sweet smile and got up off the ground.

"What happened to Sparky?"

"It got blown up... it's a long story and I rather not talk about it."

"Do you know who?"

Serenity paused for a second. "Yea, but it's hard to track him down but he always seems to find me."

"Let me know if I can help." Jules said then he walked in the shadows. She smiled to herself. She continued to walk home with her hands in her pockets. While on the other hand Jules was following her. He kept his distance.

Then he felt people following him. Who ever it was he could handle them.

'30 seconds' he thought.

One moment he was following Serenity the next he had 2 men pinned to the wall.

"Do you want to hurt her or something. Because i don't mind snapping your necks."

"Who are you?"

"That doesn't matter in this moment. In this moment I don't need anyone following her. I need her safe." Jules told them. "Now, you tell your boss to leave her alone. Or he will have a visiter."

"Our boss isn't going to take orders from a bum."

"And I don't mind killing for that young lady so..it's either leave her alone or it's taking down your whole crew and whatever operation that might get her into trouble."

"We don't want to hurt her we just want to keep her safe."

"I want the same...just stay out of my way." Jules let go of their necks and walked away. The guys called Francisco and told him of the events that had took place. Francesco yelled at them through the phone.