Chapter 17: A Part of Me

The day was young, the sun floats within the cerulean sky sharing it's radiant rays that'd envelope anyone outside for a nice warm hug that everyone deserved. But then there was Sanji, the sun could never reach him no matter how much the warmth would poke and prod at the blonde. He was a dark cold void that sucked up everything that came to him and it'd disappear as if nothing had touched him. Sanji's been like this for a while now... A month. He doesn't let his downed spirits reach the rest of the crew though so he wears an invisible mask. Everyone knows he's hurting in one form or another, they just know better than to push him since they already knew what was a matter. Today, someone crosses that boundary.

"Quit complaining Usopp!" Franky hollard towards the opposite end of the ship while the cyborg made way for the bow. "I'm grabbing some as we speak!" Franky knelt down and threw an oversized barrel of cola over his shoulder, the contents within racked at the end of the barrel with great force, knocking the man off balance. "You're still out here?" Franky cocked his brow after regaining some balance. Sanji nodded his head, leaning even more against the railing of the ship besides the figurehead of the Sunny most of all not bothering to share a glance with his crew. Franky frowned as he expected words rather than an action. "C'mon brother, you need to find a coping mechanism."

"I don't see how you all can act as if (Y/n) was never with us," Sanji sighed.

"That's not it," Franky huffed and took a rest against the railing with Sanji to his right. "It's not like (Y/n) died, she's on Law's crew so it's not like you'll never see her again either," Sanji has heard that argument twenty million times beforehand. "Sanji, (Y/n) left for personal matters but most of all for our safety. Now the entire world knows she used to be a Straw Hat, says it right on her updated Wanted Poster. So we should respect (Y/n)'s act of selflessness," Sanji sighed despite Franky's meaningful words. Franky sighed as well to feel defeat, then it dawned on him. "Did something happen between you two that you aren't letting on?"

Sanji nodded briefly. "(Y/n) left because I told her my opinion on the decision... She then slapped me and gave me the rose back and now... Now she's with Law..." Sanji began to tear up. "I couldn't bring myself to take the rose back... Especially since (Y/n) admitted that he liked me in return but, ya know, I poked the bear and now she's gone..."

"You were only rejected," Franky perked up with a howl into the wind. "Don't let (Y/n) get to ya, go after Nami or Robin again or even cook until this slump is over... No use in fretting over the past," Franky lied his hand upon Sanji's back. "It's been a few weeks Sanji, you really need to get over this. You both can remain friends at the very least."

"I guess..." Sanji sighed once again. "I just can't help but wonder what (Y/n)'s doing over on his crew."

"I'm pretty sure she's doing fine... If not, she's probably giving him hell like we all know she is," Franky's joke got Sanji to snicker.

"Yeah well I'm going to cook for a bit," Sanji replied back, stretching out his back with a pop here and there that gave him ultimate relief. "Is there anything you have on the mind to eat?"

"I'm fine with whatever you cook," Franky waved. "Have fun!"

"You too," despite how little of a talk that was, it was enough to get Sanji back on track if not a little while. Sanji's thoughts of you were soon replaced with his waking hunger for desserts that made his mouth water. "Creme Brulee and red wine," Sanji grinned rubbing his stomach in anticipation. The cook stepped within the kitchen, just to stop in his tracks and find Chopper and Luffy running around the kitchen chasing after black ball like dogs in a game of fetch. "What the hell are you two doing? You're making a mess in my kitchen!"

"We're playing with (Y/n)!" Chopper cheered, and immediately Sanji grew confused. He resumed to watch the two kids of the crew chase around the ball that seemed to float in the air a bit like a gas that left a trail of black mist like smoke. It did make him think back...