Chapter 24: Switched Places

A blonde man hobbled from one side of the kitchen to the other. His skin a ghostly pale as well, as if his skin had never met the light of day. He was riddled with the determination to walk freely for one purpose alone. “You still look sick,” you frowned pointing out the most obvious of all things. Watching with pain as Sanji had a hard time walking, more he was a wobbly mess than anything else. Sanji wasn't really listening to either Chopper's or your own advice to get as much fresh air as possible. Usopp was smart enough to sleep outside the night before and is just fine. Then again, he went to Chopper first unlike someone else.

“I should be fine,” Sanji claimed, taking a seat, his breathing was ragged but most of all heavy.

“Sanji, clearly the drug has taken its toll on you, we should skip the date… Again,” you huffed standing up from the dining table.

Sanji choked, quick to open his mouth to retaliate. “(Y/n) I really want this date-”

“Nuh-uh not if you can't walk straight,” you snapped giving the blonde a cup of icy cold water straight from the faucet. “Your health comes first, and we have roughly twelve hours till sundown. If you're better by then, then I'll agree to the date,” you explained briefly, gladly Sanji seemed to have eased up hearing your compromise. It was achievable yet reasonable.

“When did you care this much about me?” Sanji grumbled sipping on his glass of water with a shy pout. He found you a bit annoying like a mother to her child at the moment. Now he understood how you felt around Chopper whenever you were hurt to some degree.

Sanji was a little out of character for you today. Wouldn't the real Sanji be all over the fact that you were looking out for him? Or maybe it was the drug talking… “I care because I understand how you feel,” you sighed finally digging an answer from the depths of your mind. You in turn dug through the cupboards standing upon your tippy toes to pick out pots and pans appealing to the eye. You set them down upon the countertop one by one then glanced at Sanji of whom still didn't look pleased in the slightest. “I was drugged when I was captive to the government, it isn't easy to bounce back from… like bouncing back from an evening of drinking-”

“I understand that you understand,” Sanji sat down his glass shooting you the look. “But why are you so willingly taking care of me and making breakfast? Like I know you care, but not to this degree,” Sanji made a valid point that opened your eyes quite a bit. You’ve changed a lot since the surgery but not so much as to act so selfless that you'd be easily mixed up with a person taking part in the community.

“I care…” You sighed.

“(Y/n),” Sanji called you out.

“I really do care though Sanji,” you emphasized your side. “I want to show that I am grateful for everything you've done for me Sanji. And… I'm still blown away from when you stood up to Kid for me,” you grew shy telling Sanji everything you've grown thankful for since joining the crew. Hiding your burning blush from behind your back while you cracked eggs into a skillet upon the burning stovetop. Sanji watched intently while you cracked the eggshells perfectly in half against the rim of the skillet to return them to their carton without getting any of the white mess stuck to your skin. For someone who hasn't made a meal for herself in years, you still had the skills of a cooking goddess.

“Earth to Sanji,” you sang, banging two pots together. Sanji shook his head violently snapping back into reality. His blue stared into you (e/c). “Where's the bread?” You asked nicely. It gave you chills asking such a question. After spending a few months with Law and his crew, you didn't dare bring up the subject of bread.

“Oh… In the wooden case by the fridge,” Sanji pointed out a small crate sitting atop the counter that had a small silver handle on its face. You mentally scolded yourself for the French lettering of bread was printed in a silver label just above the handle. Pain. At first you had no idea why pain was engraved into the box until now when before you assumed it was an inside joke towards Law and his hatred towards bread.