★ | 004. jealousy

Book: Scream And Shout, Jurassic World
Chapter 4: Jealousy
Word Count: 1129

Book: Scream And Shout, Jurassic WorldChapter 4: JealousyWord Count: 1129

Eli found himself sitting back on the monorail with Zach and Gray. The cool thing that Zach wanted to show them was kept a secret. It didn't bother Eli though. He was just excited that Zach seemed to finally come out of his bad mood a little bit and luckily he hadn't brought up the whole 'look up and I'll kiss you.'

No, instead, he was focusing on the girls that were sitting behind them. Eli would roll his eyes every time he heard Zach flirt and the girls giggle annoyingly. First, Zach was flirting with him and now he was flirting with girls? And the boy wondered why Eli didn't like him. Eli refused to admit he was jealous.

He was just used to having Zach's attention on him and now that it wasn't, he missed it a little. That's all. Totally no jealously.

"You guys been here before?" Zach said towards the girls. Eli held back a gag. Seriously? He really just said that? Eli looked out the window and mimicked what the other boy had said childishly. He hated how this was getting on his nerves and he hated how he didn't want Zach's attention and now that it was on someone else, he wanted it back.

"If Mom and Dad get divorced, will one of us be with Mom and the other with Dad?" Gray mumbled. That definitely wasn't something that Eli had expected to hear. Zach left his mind and he turned to look at Gray, whose once bubbly mood had done a complete one eighty.

Zach's eyes widened and he looked away from the girls awkwardly, "what? Why would you say that?"

Gray shrugged, looking at his big brother with sadness, "because they are."

Zach cleared his throat and looked towards Eli, as if asking for help but Eli just looked helpless. He had no idea what to say in this situation. He'd never been in a situation even remotely close to this before. Zach sighed and shook his head, "no, they're not getting... They're not getting divorced. Look. You haven't been around long enough. They've always been that way."

"They get mail from two different lawyers."

"W-Well that might not mean anything..." Eli tried to help.

"I googled. They're divorce lawyers." Damn Gray and his detective skills.

"All right, whatever. You know what? It doesn't matter, okay? I'm gonna be gone in two years anyway. I mean, all my friends' parents are divorced." That was definitely not the right thing to say and Eli smacked Zach's arm lightly as he noticed tears well up in Gray's eyes.

"Not the time to be a dick." Eli whispered in Zach's ear.

Zach looked lost, not knowing what to say to comfort his crying little brother, "hey, knock it off. You're gonna cry? Look. You're gonna get two of everything, right? You're gonna get two birthdays, two Thanksgivings, two..."

"I don't want two of everything." Gray whimpered, drawing attention from some of the other passengers.

"Yeah, well, it's not up to you. All right? There's a point you have to grow up." Zach knew he had said the wrong thing when he saw the glare that Eli was giving him.

Eli leaned over and wrapped his arm over Gray's shoulder. "Don't listen to him. It's gonna be okay Gray. You might not think it will but I promise it will. Okay?"

"Okay..." Gray said, wrapping his arm around Eli and hugging him tightly, leaving tears on the boys jacket.

Zach stared at the two, he was glad that Gray was getting some sort of comfort but Zach was feeling selfish and he wanted Eli to hug him. He needed the comfort as well. Before Zach could think another thought, he felt a hand on his arm and looked to the side. Eli was now looking at him with a soft smile, squeezing his arm gently as if he could read Zach's thoughts. Zach felt himself smile a little, feeling his cheeks darken.

★ ★ ★

"...the soft tissue is preserved because the iron in the dinosaur's blood generates free radicals, and those are highly reactive. So, the proteins and the cell membranes get all mixed up, and and uh... act as a natural preservative. DNA can survive for a millennia that way."

Eli waited in line at the Gyrosphere station. This was the surprise that Zach had hidden. Eli was so excited. He was about to be able to be out and close with the dinosaurs. He really wanted to hug Zach for bringing them here but had decided against it. He hadn't been focusing on what Gray was saying but when he turned to listen he saw Zach once again eye flirting with more girls.

"You've got to be kidding me." Eli had meant to say that in his head but instead it had escaped his mouth and Zach turned to look at him with a smirk.

"Jealous?"

"You wish." Eli snapped, folding his arms over his chest and looking away.

This was not how Zach's plan had gone in his head. He thought that if he flirted with other people, then Eli would get jealous and try to stake a claim on him. It would be so hot but it seemed him flirting was just making Eli silent and angry. Zach sighed, looking at the side of Eli's head.

"What do you think's gonna happen from you just staring at him?" Gray spoke to his brother loudly, growing annoyed by Zach.

Eli looked around and saw Zach was indeed staring at him and he grinned, not being able to hold in his laugh as Zach cheeks flushed with embarrassment. "Thanks, man."

Gray shrugged innocently, "you're welcome."

It was time for them to get into a GyroSphere and they stepped forward, Gray going in first, then Eli and then Zach. Eli found himself squished in the middle, the closeness he had to Zach making him feel giddy. "Maybe it would've been smarter to have the smallest in the middle."

"Na. I kind of like this position." Zach commented, lifting his arm and wrapping it around Eli's shoulder, receiving a look from the other boy, "what? I just want to make sure you're comfy."

Eli could have easily taken Zach's arm off him but he didn't. He didn't because he liked the feeling. He didn't because he knew Zach liked it as well. He did stop himself from sinking down and resting his head on Zach's shoulder. That would have been perfect. Unfortunately, Eli was stubborn and he didn't want to give Zach the satisfaction... yet.

★ ★ ★

Authors Note: See below!

Consider supporting me on Patreon and/or following me on YouTube 💕 Links in my bio