Prologue

A Day In My Life

Being woken up to the warm rising sun across my closed eyes, I revel in the warmth it's bringing my small cold body. Though it does very little until it rises higher in the sky.

Rubbing the sleep from my blue eyes, I check my surroundings of the little corner I call home. Also known as a small bridge in a local park. It's cold but blocks the weather enough that I don't freeze overnight in the cool Melbourne weather.

Packing the few things I own into my backpack, I stand to stretch my sore limbs.

I begin walking through the park, spotting the usual few people on their morning runs as I go to the public toilet block.

Once in there I do my morning routine, rinsing my mouth with water before cupping some to drink. Splashing some on my face and combing my red hair with thin fingers until it resembles some form of tamed look to it. Once done I relieve myself in the stall and set out on my way.

My first stop, as always, is to go to the local shelter. From what I know, it's owned by someone with quite alot of wealth. They used to live on the streets too but turned their life around. They then created this shelter to give people as long as possible to get their life on track.

There are other shelters but this one has an unlimited stay length and resourses to really help people.

As I walk through the cool morning air, I spot the large building that housed such a small number of homeless in it. It actually has quite alot of rooms, being an old hotel but it is not enough for us all sadly.

Walking into the heated reception, I see the lovely ladies talking over a coffee like usual. I take a minute to warm up under the heater vent before making my way to them.

"Hello there, Aria! How are you doing today?" The welcoming voice of Jean greets me as usual.

"Hello Rachel, Jean. Could always be worse. It's walking day so that's always good. Any openings today?" I ask politely.

These ladies are half the reason I'm still alive. They do small acts of kindness that really help me when I walk back out into ths reality of my life.

"Sorry Ari. Still nothing. Hopefully soon though, we hate that you're out there on such cold nights." Rachel tells me sadly.

I used to be rather rude to these ladies, mistaking their compassion for pity. But now I know they're just genuinely good people, who would likely house everyone who needed it if it was possible.

"That's okay Rachel. Thanks anyway. I best go start my search." I say with a fake smile, hiding my disappointment as best I can yet again.

"Hold on. We got you a little something and before you start, it's all donated. We just kept it aside for you." She smiles knowingly at me before handing me a bag of goodies.

Looking inside the bag I see socks, a beanie, a few tins of food, a bottle of water, a comb, sample toothpaste and toothbrush.

"Thank you so much. I really appreciate all of this." I smile warmly at them.

Putting the items into my backpack, I give them back the bag for reuse. It doesn't seem like much but these things do alot for me. The beanie and socks will be great with winter around the corner too.

"See you later on. Thanks again for the stuff!" I say as I start walking out into the streets of Melbourne.

Like every day, I walk from shop to shop and ask if anyone has a job to offer or even chores I can do to get myself some money for food or warmer clothes from op shops.